Skip to main content

Newborn Summary: Week 9

Best thing about this week was that we had 2 nights where Lux slept through the night & didn't have a night feeding!!
 
Nursing: Nursing has been great. I'm still doing 1 formula bottle a day most days. She also started sleeping longer at night really consistently, so I've added a pumping session around 9:30 to get me through the night & build my frozen supply. She's doing both sides at every feeding except the first one of the day & any in the middle of the night.

Waketime: She has been being a lot more interactive during waketime! You can play with her more, which is so fun! I love taking pictures of her, which is really obvious from my Facebook & Instagram. She's very clearly alert for longer, so waketimes have also gotten longer.

Swaddling: I've been transitioning her out of the swaddle at all. She's still got both arms out, but she's swaddled around her torso. My friend Laurel gave me some more swaddle blankets that were fleece & actually a little bigger, so they can be swaddled looser around her body. I tried one night with her in a blanket sleeper to see if that worked. She woke up an extra time that night, but I'm not sure if that was because of the blanket sleeper or because of Isis waking up several times with her potty issue that I mentioned last week.

Nighttime Sleep: This week I noticed that Lux was having a harder time going down to sleep. I tried a couple times to go in and feed her a little while after I put her down, but she wasn't interested in eating. It was like she just couldn't calm down. I had noticed that the bath seemed to stimulate her more than it did Isis. Isis was always really soothed by a bath, so I would feed her, then do a bath, then put her to bed. I was doing that for our routine with Lux, but just like a lot of other things, they're different! So I switched Lux's routine and I'm doing her bath and then feeding her and then putting her to bed. I'm just making sure she's still awake when I put her down. I don't want to nurse her to sleep. Here's our nighttime breakdown: 

Night 1 - Friday night - Two of my high school girls from church went out to dinner with our family this night & it went later than we were anticipating. Lewis ended up having to take Lux home & give her a bottle before bed while I took my girls home. So Lux took a 5 oz bottle at 7:30 & then went to bed. She woke up at 3:45, 5:45 & then 7:30. She had 2 feedings after we went to bed (3:45 & 5:45) and her longest stretch was 8.25 hours from 7:30 to 3:45.

Night 2 - Saturday night - I fed Lux at 7:00, then did bedtime routine & put her to bed. She woke up at 6:00 and we just got up for the day! That was a very exciting day! She had no middle of the night feedings and went 11 hours between feedings!

Night 3 - Sunday night - I fed her at 6:30, then did bedtime routine & bed. This was one night where she seemed to have trouble going down. I tried to feed her again at 8:15, but she ate for maybe 5 minutes and then as soon as she was done, she spit up all over me. And I mean I think she spit up everything she had just eaten. It went over my shoulder & down my whole back. It was so bad we had to change the sheets on our bed. So I knew she wasn't hungry. She went to sleep after that and slept until 5:00. I then got her up for the day at 7:30. She had 1 feeding after we went to bed (5:00) and her longest stretch was 8.75 hours from 8:15 to 5:00.

Night 4 - Monday night - I fed her at 6:30, then did bedtime routine & bed. This was another night that she just didn't seem to go down well. She was okay for a while and then started crying again later, so I fed her at 9:00. She woke up at 6:15, so we just got up for the day! This was the 2nd night that she didn't have a feeding after we went to bed! Her longest stretch was 9.25 hours from 9:00 to 6:15.

Night 5 - Tuesday night - This was the night I switched up her bedtime routine. I gave her a bath and then fed her after and put her right down after I fed her. She was awake, but she went to sleep on her own fairly quickly with almost no fussing whatsoever! So I fed her at 7:00 and she woke up at 4:00 and then I got her up for the day at 7:15. She had 1 feeding after we went to bed (4:00) and her longest stretch was 9 hours from 7:00 to 4:00.

Night 6 - Wednesday night - I fed her at 7:00 & put her to bed. She woke up at 5:45 and then I got her up at 7:45 for the day. She had 1 feeding after we went to bed (5:45) and her longest stretch was 10.75 hours from 7:00 to 5:45.

Night 7 - Thursday night - I fed her at 7:00 & put her to bed. She woke up at 4:00 & I fed her from 1 side for 14 minutes. I put her back to bed & she still wasn't asleep at 4:45, so I fed her again. She ate from the other side for 16 minutes, so I think she just needed both sides that night! I got her up at 8:00 that day. She had 2 feedings technically after we went to bed (4:00 & 4:45) and her longest stretch was 9 hours from 7:00 to 4:00.

Naps: I made a little progress with her naps this week. I extended her waketime to an hour & 15 minutes or so. I usually start watching her around that time. She can go as long as an hour & a half. When I do that, she will sleep for at least an hour for her naps. I've been trying to put her down in her crib for every nap unless we are out running errands. That doesn't include the last catnap of the day, though. For that one, I usually hold her. I'm not really big on holding my babies for all their naps, but I don't mind holding her for that last one. For one thing, it's a catnap that lasts at most 45 minutes, and another thing is that I go back to school soon & I'm going to enjoy holding her for that nap when I get home from school each day. I'll really miss her.

Sibling: Isis is still having her potty issue, but it's getting a little better. She's gone back to only waking up twice a night maybe. That's better than 4 or 5 times that she did a few nights there when it got really bad. As far as Isis with Lux, she's been really fun. Since Lux is getting more interactive, Isis is getting more interested in interacting with her. She'll get really excited when Lux is looking at her or when she smiles at her! It's so fun to see them interacting.

Schedule: Our days have kinda gotten off the eat-wake-sleep cycle that is encouraged in most routine-favoring resources. I'm just going with it for right now because I'm hoping her naps will eventually extend themselves whens he's down to 2 or 3 a day. I also know that she eats better at 3 hours or more, so I'm trying to hold her off to there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm just kinda going with it each day. My focus is to try to get her to nap in her crib and to not nurse her to sleep. Other than that, I'm taking it easy.

Mom Stuff: I've been seeing my counselor once a week. This week our focus was on cutting myself some slack & seeing the big picture. It's really helped to just work through everything with her. I'm feeling a lot better. I'm getting a little anxious thinking about going back to school, but I think that's normal. I'll just really miss Lux and I get nervous about her being at the sitter & around all the germs!

Milestones: This week she's been cooing a lot more & like I've mentioned several times now, she's really interactive. It seems like she's really trying to talk to you. She's also been reaching for things a little & batting at things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate