Skip to main content

Simplify in 2014

I've chosen a word for 2014 that I'm going to focus on. I prayed about it for a while and honestly didn't have to do as much soul searching as I thought I would because it was pretty apparent to me what word I needed to focus on.

Simplify

I'm going to try to simplify in all areas of my life: physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, relational and financial. I'm trying to give myself a goal with each area to help myself simplify. Some may not seem like simplifying to you, but to me they are.

Physical: Work out at least 3 times a week
This strangely adds more to my week, but I want to make sure my time is spent on things I should be prioritizing and not on things I shouldn't.

Mental: Read 50 books this year
Again, this adds more time in this area, but it means I have to take time away from other areas. I'm going to stop watching some TV shows and stop surfing around on my iPad and focus on reading.

Spiritual: Spend time daily reading the Bible
This is something I strive to do anyway, but it just can get pushed aside in the day to day and it should be the first thing I focus on. I'm going to try to wake up earlier and do this really intentionally.

Emotional: Blog more
I know this is a weird place to put blogging - as an emotional goal - but for me, blogging has always made me slow down and stop and think for a little bit. And the reason why I haven't done it much in the last year is because I haven't allowed myself time to slow down and stop long enough to do it. So setting aside time to stop and reflect through blogging is helpful for me emotionally.

Relational: Monthly dates outside the house with Lewis (& friends)
Lewis and I have regular time throughout the week that we hang out and watch a movie or something, but we need to focus on getting out of the house for some dates. It requires us to stop and talk and it's just exciting. I also need to do the same with some of my girlfriends. We will fit time in here and there but it's never really consistent and I want some intentional time with people I love.

Financial: Do not purchase clothing in 2014
This is the hardest one for me. It really is going to be a huge challenge, but I've been thinking a lot about it and I didn't think a month or even 2 months was enough time to set this goal. I want to cut it out for the entire year and see what kind of a difference it makes.


Honorable mention thoughts:
I have signed up for an account with mint.com to try to track our finances. I would love to pay off some student loans this year.

I'm also going to try to not bring school stuff home unless it's absolutely necessary. I've gotten into this habit of working a lot at home and I just won't have time honestly.

I will finish my Masters in June and I want to start my Rank 1 in August. These are huge steps for me and I'm excited about them!
 
I would also like to save up the majority of our money for Christmas gifts before December. I have a few ways I'm going to try doing that and I'll post later about how that goes.
 
 
What are your 2014 goals?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate