Skip to main content

Integrating God's Word into my Parenting

Continuing with the scripture memory that I talked about previously, I have been really loving how much it impacts me on a daily basis. Just memorizing a scripture causes me to be thinking about it regularly throughout the day because I repeat it to myself so that I can memorize it. 2 Corinthians 12:9, being about God's grace in my weaknesses, has been particularly helpful because I feel like I am constantly reminded of my weaknesses. Repeating the verse to myself helps me remember His promises.

So I thought maybe I could utilize this strategy with Isis. We've been having trouble lately with her having outbursts of frustration or anger. She's 3 1/2 and she is fiercely independent, which I really believe is a wonderful thing. I am excited to see how this grows in her personality. I think she will be a very confident teenager and adult - at least that is my prayer if we can help her to develop healthy boundaries. 

Lately, we've been really trying to focus with her on the fact that it is okay to have a variety of feelings and emotions. She said something to me the other day about how she went to time out because she got mad. I said, "No, Isis. It is okay to get mad. Mommy gets mad. You went to time out because you screamed at us and then threw your toys because you were mad. It is important to make good choices, even though you are mad." I want her to accept her feelings. I don't want a child that never gets mad or embarrassed or frustrated. That's unrealistic. I just want to teach her how to work through those emotions. We've been focusing on taking a breath. She doesn't want to talk through those things when she's overwhelmed by an emotion and I think that's okay. Sometimes I don't want to talk either when I'm really mad. So we just tell her to pause and take a breath. Sometimes she can and it helps. Sometimes she's too worked up and we have to do time out or allow her to go through the tantrum.

Well, I decided to try using scripture. She's had so many questions lately and we've had so many great conversations about God. She's been going to the preschool program at church and has come home talking to us about how God loves her no matter what and how He made everything. We are able to talk about how God teaches us and says things about how to treat people or how to live and that is how mommy and daddy learn how to treat her. 

So here is what we are trying: James 1:19 says "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry."

So now when she seems to be escalating, I try to get close to her, on her level and say something like this, "Isis, I can tell you're getting upset. God says 'You  must be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.' So let's take a breath." 

It works best when I have caught it before it really escalates to a full tantrum. If it escalates, I wait until her tantrum is over or until she is done with time out and then we talk about it. We always try to have a little debrief with her after she gets in trouble, just telling her that we love her and we do time out so that she learns to make good choices even when she is feeling mad. If we catch it before the tantrum, then the debrief is after she's had time to calm down and we can talk about how it feels better to take a breath and calm down rather than to throw or hit something.

It's not perfect, but it seems to be working well and I love that she is integrating scripture into her life now. I also love that it helps me to remember as well to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry with her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate