Skip to main content

His Grace is Sufficient: Scripture Memory

I've been memorizing 2 Corinthians 12:9 after reading Chapter 1 of Ragamuffin Gospel. I mentioned before that I haven't memorized scripture like that since high school. I just haven't made it a part of my daily practice. Well, just in the last couple of days, it's made a huge difference! 
First I looked at some strategies for memorization & here are the ones that really stuck out to me:
1 - Memorize the Reference
This way you can go back & look it up if you forget.
2 Corinthians 12:9
2 - Memorize the Theme or Main Idea
This way you know generally what that verse was referring to.
2 Corinthians 12:9 is about God's grace and His power even through my own weaknesses and imperfections.
3 - Focus on the Key Words
Again, just a strategy to remember the overall important points and to help you kinda put it together like a puzzle.
2 Corinthians 12:9 important words: grace, sufficient, power, perfect, weakness, boast, gladly
4 - Put it all Together
I put this in 1 step, but really you could break it down. I just started repeating. I put a screen capture of the verse on my lock screen on my phone. I wrote it down. I kept repeating it to Lewis and Isis. I tried to incorporate it into my activities. I repeated, wrote, recited, etc. 
2 Corinthians 12:9 - But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
Another thing I did just to help me wrap my head around what I was memorizing was I looked up some commentaries on the verse. This link was probably the most meaningful one for me. Here are my thoughts on it:
 
Basically, you could break it down really specific, even to "But He said to me" which is referring to the fact that God answered Paul when he asked God to remove his "thorn in the flesh," which is what this verse is really referring to. Paul had some weakness that he asked God repeatedly to take away, but God didn't. This verse is addressing God's response to him - and the fact that He did respond to him. God didn't just leave it alone for Paul to wonder. What God is saying is that His grace, which is God's acceptance and pleasure in us, was what Paul needed. He could've removed the weakness or He could've made Paul stronger to be able to bear it. Either way, God was demonstrating His power with either choice. Clearly He didn't remove it.
One thing that really stuck out to me that they said was that God's grace is sufficient for ME. And they referred to the humor in that, really. God - all knowing, all powerful, all loving God - whose grace really knows no bounds, has grace sufficient for ME. I'm so small in comparison to how mighty and awesome He is. The idea that His grace wouldn't be sufficient for me is absurd. They used the analogy of it being like a little fish in the ocean worrying that he would drink it dry. There is even more grace available than what I need.
From here, I can be happy about my weaknesses because it gives me an opportunity to show God's power in that He works through someone like me, works for someone like me, and could even change someone like me.
 
 
 
Here are some great links I found for scripture memorization strategies:
Ten Tips for Memorizing Bible Verses
32 Ways to Memorize Scripture
How to Memorize a Bible Verse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate