Skip to main content

Updates: Isis

I think it's kind-of hilarious that I haven't posted since January. It's June. The end of June. I also think it's funny that the last time I posted it was to say I went back to work. Are we thinking maybe going back to work with 2 kids threw me for a loop? I'd definitely say that is a valid assumption.

But here we are, June 22. Isis is 3 1/2. Lux is 8 1/2 months. It is summer. I am home. We are all finally hitting our stride. I'm no longer scared to take 2 of them out by myself. I have started grad school to get my Masters & I'm a few days away from being done with my first 8 week session. I feel like I can finally breathe and it's time to share some updates. (I'm going to split these into 2 posts because it's been so long & I have so much to say!)

Isis
 
Communication & Emotions
Boy do we have a talker! That personality is coming out full force! Isis loves to talk. She'll even sit down and go, "Mommy, let's talk." She wants me to ask her questions and she will ask me questions. We will discuss our favorites (food, movies, princesses, books) and things we are thankful for. She is really showing her sensitive side, for better or worse. She will come up and put her hand on your cheek and look straight in your eyes with no shame and just say, "I love you. Do you know how much I love you? You're beautiful." It absolutely melts my heart. She is truly thoughtful. At the same time, she is sensitive about other things as well. We are still having some full-blown tantrums and crying fits. They aren't all the time, but they tend to happen most often when she's somehow had her feelings hurt or she's accidentally hurt someone else. She is really sensitive. I tend to view the world long-term and I am trying to help her name her feelings and sort through what she's feeling because ultimately I know that this sensitivity as a child will turn into a truly beautiful sensitivity to the world around her and the people in the world. I am excited to see that part of her personality develop.
 
Cognitive
One of my first grad school classes was Advanced Human Development and we had to create a matrix of a person's life and developments from birth to age 18. So I'm thinking in terms of that matrix now, of course, because I'm both a mom and a teacher and it overlaps sometimes. So excuse the fancy "cognitive" label for this section, but it made sense to me!
 
Isis knows her colors.
She can count to about 15 correctly and can identify numbers through 9 correctly about 80% of the time.
She can say her ABC's and is starting to be able to identify some of the correct letters and sounds.
She's understanding concepts of time, although pretty much anything in the past is "yesterday" and future is either "tomorrow" or "later." 
She's getting better at simple puzzles.
She loves to tell stories, sing and play make-believe.
She now has several imaginary friends that we are instructed to say hello to regularly.
She's understanding gender differences in conversation, such as saying "she" or "him," although the uses will be wrong frequently. "Her likes to play dress up with me."
 
Movement
She runs, jumps, tries to balance on one foot, climbs anything she can, runs, rides a tricycle, walks forward and backwards and just recently has started to love doing yoga with me! She calls it "yoga yoga" and her favorite positions are downward dog, tree pose, triangle and plow. We have signed her up for a movin' and groovin' summer camp in July where they will focus on yoga, dance and tumbling! I think she will love it and her aunt Ellen will be volunteering, so she will feel more comfortable!
 
Motor skills
She can cut along a line with child's scissors.
She can draw a face.
She can paint. 
She can copy shapes like circles, squares, and x's.
She can dress and undress for the most part without help. She can even do buttons!!
 
Other
We recently took her to the preschool program at church for the first time and then we snuck in the back to watch! She loved it!! It was really neat. They do a little community time at the beginning where they just play and get to know the kids at church, then they go in for the whole group where they sing and a woman tells a story. This time they learned that God made everything and they did a song and saw pictures about things that God made. Then they go back into the first room for life group time where they talked more about things God made and they colored pictures. I really loved it and loved talking to her on the way home about it all! We asked her what she learned and she goes, "God made everything!" And then told us about how He made her and He made flowers and snowmen and everything. It was really fun. I'm going to start doing Bible verses with her on her bathroom mirror to memorize what they are talking about at church.
 
We also have decided to sign her up for dance classes in the fall! She will go once a week and it is a kinder-dance, so they will do a mixture of ballet and tap. There will be a little holiday review at Christmas and then a recital in the spring. She's going to do it with a friend of hers, so I think they'll have a lot of fun!!

She also starts preschool in the fall at an all-day Montessori school close to our house. We went to visit a while ago and I thought it would be great for her! She keeps talking about school and we bought a backpack, so she's pretty excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate