Skip to main content

Newborn Summary: Week 4

Establishing some form of consistency...

Nursing: Nursing is going great. She is still doing 1 side at a time for the most part, but I did have an issue this week where I pumped first thing in the morning after I fed her & then my supply seemed weird all day & I had to feed from both sides several times so she would have enough. I've decided that I'm going to start trying to pump after every feeding to build up a supply before I go back to school and I'm also going to try feeding her from both sides every time if I can. I just know I need to start pumping more, so I'll see if that changes anything.

Burping: She still burps after most feedings, but not all. I don't burp her in the middle of the night. That's still going fine.

Reflux: She's been spitting up occasionally, but not every time. It's not excessive or anything, just a little here & there. She'll do more if she has a really big feeding or eats really fast at first. I also still try to keep her upright for a few minutes after she eats & that seems to help.

Waketime: Okay, this I have really played around with this week. Right now, she is awake for about 45 minutes first thing in the morning. Every wake time after that (keep in mind I do the Eat-Wake-Sleep cycle with her, so she has 4 wake times a day - I'll talk more about that in the schedule part) I work for her to be up for an hour, except for the last one before bed. She is usually up for about an hour and a half before bed. We have to work for that & sometimes she's fussy, but she sleeps a lot better after that.

Witching Hour: For the most part, the witching hour has taken care of itself since we started doing a consistent bedtime. She can still be fussy at night when we are trying to keep her up that last period before bed, but it's not just straight screaming like it was before.

Swaddling: We are still swaddling for all naps that she is in the crib and at nighttime in the crib. She's getting stronger, though, and she usually gets her left arm out of the swaddle. If she does that, we just leave it. It has left us with a few nights where she's cried more before going to sleep, but overall she's starting to seem happier with that arm unswaddled. That's good because we have to stop using the swaddle eventually & I'd rather do it sooner than later & teach her to sleep without it.

Nighttime Sleep: We started a consistent bedtime with a bedtime routine this week and it has made a huge difference! I try to feed her around 6:30/6:45 every day and then give her a little sponge bath while Isis takes her bath at 7:00. I then swaddle her, sing Twinkle, Twinkle and put her to bed. I leave the room while she is awake. This does mean we have to let her cry a little bit, but she's been up for at least an hour & a half at this point, so the crying has been minimal before she falls asleep. We then just let her sleep as long as she wants & feed her when she wakes up. Here's how she's been doing all week: 

Night 1 - Friday Night - We hadn't started the consistent bedtime yet. She ate at 7:30, 11:45, 3:30 & 7:00. Her longest stretch was 4 hrs and 15 minutes after the 7:30 feeding. There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (11:45 & 3:30).

Night 2 - Saturday Night - Still hadn't started the consistent bedtime. I also think she was having a growth spurt or something. She ate at 7:00, 10:30, 12:30, 3:15 & 7:15. Her longest stretch was 4 hours after the 3:15 feeding. There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (12:30 & 3:15).

Night 3 - Sunday Night - This is when we started the consistent bedtime. Our goal was to feed her anytime between 6:30 and 7:00. This night she ate at 6:30, 1:00, 4:15 and 7:00. Her longest stretch was 6 1/2 hours (she was asleep for about 5 1/2 of that) after the 6:30 feeding. There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (1:00 & 4:15).

Night 4 - Monday Night - She ate at 6:30, 1:00, 4:15 and 7:00. Her longest stretch again was 6 1/2 hours after the 6:30 feeding. There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (1:00 & 4:15).

Night 5 - Tuesday Night - She ate at 6:45, 9:00, 1:30, 5:30 and 7:30. Her longest stretch was 4 1/2 hours after the 9:00 feeding. (There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (1:30 & 5:30).

Night 6 - Wednesday Night - This night her feedings during the day didn't work out to feed her before her bath, so I fed her right after. She ate at 7:30 (then went right down to bed), then at 2:00, 6:00 and 7:30. Her longest stretch was 6 1/2 hours after the 7:30 feeding. There were 2 feedings after we went to bed (2:00 & 6:00).

Night 7 - Thursday Night - She ate at 6:30, 9:00, 11:00, 4:30 and 8:00. She had a rough night this night & couldn't really go to sleep, so I just assumed she was hungry & fed her a couple extra times. Good news is, I didn't go to bed until after the 11:00 feeding, so the only feeding we had to get up for was the 4:30 feeding! Her longest stretch was 5 1/2 hours after the 11:00 feeding.

Naps: Her naps are pretty hit or miss overall. She naps for every nap in her crib in her room unless we are going out to run errands or something. I put her down awake every time. On a good nap day, she takes 3 longer naps in her crib and then 1 catnap at night downstairs before bed while somebody holds her for about 30 minutes. On a bad nap day, it's the first nap that gets messed up. She'll wake up early & sometimes I'll be able to hold her and get her to sleep and sometimes I'll just feed her and start the eat-wake-sleep cycle over again. Usually if the latter happens, then she will be really sleepy the next time and take a longer nap for the second time.

Sibling: Isis is doing much better in terms of transitioning with Lux. She's very helpful! She loves getting wipes and a diaper for me when I'm changing Lux. She also loves to bring things to you, so I feel like I'm constantly sending her on errands. She will go upstairs to get the nasal bulb syringe or she will get me the boppy from across the room or get a kleenex or something. She just always goes, "oh, mommy, I get it!" She really is just the sweetest. She also loves to try to comfort Lux if she's crying or to go with me to get her from a nap in her room. I'm excited to see their relationship grow over time.

Schedule: This is our ideal schedule at 4 weeks - 
7:00 - wake up, diaper change & nurse
7:45 - nap
10:00 - wake up, diaper change & nurse
11:00 - nap
1:00 - wake up, diaper change & nurse
2:00 - nap
4:00 - wake up, diaper change & nurse
5:00 - nap
5:30-ish - wake up, diaper change (if needed - usually is)
6:30 - nurse
7:00 - bath & down for bed
She usually wakes up twice in the night for a total of 7 feedings a day.
 
If she wakes up early from naps, it's usually been at least 2 hours since her last feeding. If I can't get her back to sleep by holding her, I assume that she woke up because she was hungry & I feed her & start the eat-wake-sleep cycle over again. I then try to adjust feedings and stuff throughout the day to where she eats somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00 before bed.

Mom Stuff: I'm feeling good overall, but this week I started having an almost cabin fever sort of situation. And I wouldn't call it cabin fever specifically because I am getting out of the house several times a week. It's more that I haven't had time out of the house by myself without either of my girls except for 1 day for about an hour (when I went to school). I need some me-time. I also am feeling fat lately because none of my pants fit. So I'm starting to go to the gym next week. Hopefully it'll give me some time alone out of the house. I'm going on Sunday when Lewis is home and then next week I'm hoping my mom will be able to come a couple times so that I can go. I also want to go out next weekend with my friend Diana for some much-needed girl time. 

I got my birth control put in this week. I'm doing Implanon. It's inserted in your arm and it releases a certain amount of progesterone each day. It lasts for 3 years and is as effective as an IUD. It's fine with breastfeeding & has no estrogen, so I'm happy about it. It's not really an important part of my summary, I just do want to remember at what point I put it in for next time (if there is a next time - a post for another day as well).

Comments

Mama Smors said…
I wanted to encourage you by telling you that I recommended your blog to my sis in law. She is trying out babywise and I am a little rusty! haha! She LOVES the insight on your blog as she is getting little Graham on a schedule!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate