Skip to main content

Newborn Summary: Week 3

Time for the sleep issues...

Gas: Still no issues! I may stop discussing this unless it becomes an issue.

Nursing: She's still nursing like a champ. She usually does 1 side a time still for about 12-20 minutes, but there have been a few times that she's done both sides. She may have had a growth spurt early this week, but it wasn't as pronounced as it was when Isis has a growth spurt. Lux seems to just eat a lot either way and we've gone to the doctor once a week basically since she was born and she's been gaining a pound a week!! She is now at 9lb 11oz as of 3 weeks exactly. So she's clearly getting whatever she needs from her breastfeeding!

Burping: She will usually burp once after a feeding. I only occasionally burp her in the middle of the night. She's usually been so tired while she was nursing & completely asleep afterwards in the middle of the night that I just don't even bother.

Reflux: She did have a day or 2 where reflux was an issue, but I think it was more due to something I had eaten. She will spit up a little if you don't burp her or if you lay her down quickly after feeding. I try to keep her upright for a few minutes after eating to settle everything & then she's fine.

Waketime: She is doing pretty good at being away for at least 40 minutes each eat-wake-sleep cycle. We also figured out this week that we need to keep her up for a little longer - more like an hour or so - right before we put her to bed for the night. She's a little fussier, but her nighttime goes better. 

Witching Hour: We pretty much figured out this week that if we keep her up from about 6:00 to about 7:15 or so before putting her to bed, then she will cry for a little bit when we put her down, but then go to sleep. So it virtually got rid of the witching hour. I'm not sure if this will last, but we'll see. We figured it out about halfway through week 3 and it's worked the last 2 nights.

Swaddling: We are still swaddling her for all naps and nighttime when she is in the crib. I figured out that I need to swaddle her with 1 arm bent up so she can suck it or at least rest it on her chin or cheek. If I do that, then she sleeps well and doesn't fight the swaddle as much. Most nights and naps, she gets that bent arm out, but it doesn't seem to affect her sleep.

Nighttime Sleep: This week was where things got a little more challenging with nighttime sleep. She is starting to be more alert during her wake times and she is starting to be awake a little more after nursing, even in the middle of the night. I was basically nursing her back to sleep in the middle of the night and then putting her down, but now most times she wakes up a little before we put her in bed. This is fine, because ultimately we want her to be put down awake and soothe herself to sleep. So we also had to do a little cry-it-out in the middle of the night. Some people may not agree with that, but I always make sure she is fed, has a dry diaper, and has had plenty of cuddle time with us. In the middle of the night, she may cry for 30 minutes or less and if she cries for longer than 5-10 minutes straight, we will go in and comfort her. But she always gets back to sleep. Here's her breakdown each day:

Night 1 - Friday night - She ate at 7:30, 11:00, 1:00, 3:30, 4:45 and 7:45. This was the first night that she had a hard time going back to sleep and we were trying to let her cry a little. I also think she had a bit of a growth spurt this day/night.

Night 2 - Saturday night - She ate at 7:45, 9:30, 11:45, 4:30 and 8:00. She was having a witching hour issue earlier in the evening, but then she went from 11:45 to 4:30, which was very exciting!

Night 3 - Sunday night - She ate at 7:40, 9:45, 4:00 & 7:30. Witching hour from 7:40 to 9:45, but then slept until 4:00!! That night was crazy exciting!

Night 4 - Monday night - She ate at 7:30, 9:30, 1:30, 4:45 & 7:45. Pretty normal. Still having witching hour from 7:30 to 9:30.

Night 5 - Tuesday night - She ate at 7:40, 11:30, 2:15, 6:00 and 8:15. Again pretty normal. No witching hour that night.

Night 6 - Wednesday night - She ate at 7:30, 9:30, 11:00, 3:30 & 7:15. Witching hour basically from 7:30 to 11:00 that night. Nothing really worked getting her to sleep, but then she went from 11:00 to 3:30.

Night 7 - Thursday night - She ate at 7:40, 10:00, 2:30, 5:45 and 8:00. No witching hour really that night.

We've decided to actually start our normal bedtime routine for week 4. We are going to feed her around 6:45, then do bath at the same time as Isis at 7:00, then put her to bed before we go do Isis' bedtime routine. Even if she has the witching hour & fusses in her crib or something, we're at least getting some consistency about what to expect for bedtime. Again, updates next week!

Naps: Naps always start in her crib unless we are going out somewhere. I put her down sleepy, but awake and she sometimes fusses before going to sleep, but will 9 times out of 10 go to sleep in the crib. Occasionally she will wake up early, but still be sleepy & if that happens, I just hold her for the rest of the nap. Her first nap of the day is usually the best and most consistent one, probably because she's still continuing her nighttime sleep to a certain extent. Her last nap of the day is the roughest one. She usually won't go to sleep in the crib, so I will hold her for that one and then try to get her up about an hour before we are going to put her to bed. She's not really consistent yet, but we are just focusing on the pattern of eat-wake-sleep. 

One thing I will say about naps and stuff is that although this sounds really rigid or scheduled, I am way more relaxed this time than I was with Isis. It's crazy. If a nap doesn't go well or something, I just kinda go with it. I'm less stressed. Now, if all the naps don't go well and she just has a rough day sleeping in general, then I get a little more stressed! But overall, I'm way more laid back with Lux.

Sibling: Isis has shown difficulty in this transition with a few things: whining/crying, bedtime and waking up. She whines and cries a lot more lately than she did before. I think it's because she sees Lux whine & cry a lot & then we have to attend to her, so she is trying to use the same tactic to get what she wants. We are enforcing that she use her words to tell us what she wants. At bedtime, she has gotten a lot more defiant. She will hit Lewis when she's getting out of the bath and she will kick me when she's getting dressed or putting lotion on. These things result in a loss of her bedtime routine. We try to use natural consequences with her as much as possible. For example, with hitting or kicking or being mean or things like that, it's a social thing, so it results in a social removal of the person. "If you hit mommy, mommy isn't going to sit here." This has resulted in a few nights of her having to go to bed without a story and a song. It is always followed up by a discussion later, but it's been upsetting for all of us some nights because we all enjoy that time. We are working on telling her ahead of time what is going to happen in the day or at night with the routine. Letting her know what's coming rather than just doing it has helped her with this transition a little bit. The last couple of nighttimes have been better. She is also having a hard time with waking up in the middle of the night with bad dreams or waking up really early in the morning. I'm not exactly sure why or how these things play into a new sibling, but they came along at that time, so they seem to be possibly connected.

Schedule: I'm still trying to get her up around 7:15 or 7:30. This doesn't always work out based on nighttime feedings. But I'm trying to also get her down around 7:30 at night. I feed her every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day. Next week I'm working on getting even more consistent, so we'll see how that goes.

Mom Stuff: I'm still feeling good! I'm ready to work on getting back into my pre-pregnancy clothes, so I'm way ready to go back to the gym. The only problem is that I'm nervous. As moms know, the bleeding after pregnancy is just plain old annoying because it's like a month long period (sorry to any men who may be reading this). But it's like you get 9 months off from a period & then a whole month to catch yourself back up. Gross. But I'm almost done with that now & I'm scared that going to the gym will make it start up again. I hope to go back sometime in week 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate