Skip to main content

Fearless Friday: Bedtime

Because I didn't capture any pics of my Fearless Friday escapades, here's a cute pic of my 2 ballerinas from Halloween on Wednesday! Isis was Angelina Ballerina, but she refused to wear the ears or the tail.
 
I read a post on Rookie Mom about how we should observe Fearless Fridays. Her blog is for rookie moms, which I am now not one anymore, but I am embarking on a new stage of motherhood with 2 kids. You can be as prepared as possible & adding a child to the mix is still going to throw you for a loop. So I think it'll be fun to try to do something each week that scares me in terms of motherhood! I may not always do it on Friday, but I'll post about it on Friday.

This week my Fearless Friday activity happened on Thursday. During the day, I took Lux out for our first shopping trip alone to Target & then we met a couple of women for lunch. I was nervous about both, only because you never know if your child is going to cry throughout the shopping trip or that I'd need to nurse her in the middle of Panera. It's been almost 3 years now since I was going out alone with a newborn. Neither of those things happened, so while I did face my fears of going out alone with her, I didn't really end up having to deal with anything scary. 

Lewis has something he does at church every Thursday night and he hasn't gone for the last 2 weeks because we were getting acclimated to life with Lux, but this week he needed to start going back. So I was left to do bedtime by myself. Now, bedtime lately has been a bit of a nightmare. For 1, Isis is having a rough transition in terms of a few things when it comes to Lux. Bedtime has been difficult because of this. She will fight us, sometimes literally (kicking & hitting) at bedtime. We've had some upsetting evenings where we've had to leave her in her room without singing a song or giving her hugs and kisses like normal. So I wasn't really looking forward to dealing with that by myself. Then Lux is having her nightly fussy time, that I now believe all newborns have, which lasts from about an hour before bedtime through whenever she may fall asleep, which could be anywhere from 30 minutes to like 3 hours after bedtime.

I was going to have my mom come help me with bedtime, but I decided that in honor of Fearless Fridays, I needed to face this fear, put my big girl pants on & do it myself! So I did!!

I realize there are a lot of moms who start right away being alone with both of their kids, but I just haven't had to do that yet. Isis still goes to the babysitter all day Monday through Friday because we had to pay for her spot anyway, so we figured it'd be great for her to stay in that routine, get some time with other kids her age & give me some time alone with Lux. So during the week it's just me & Lux while Lewis is at work & Isis is at the babysitter. When both Isis and Lux are at home, Lewis is always there, with the exception of maybe 30 minutes here & there. Lewis has been home every night for bedtimes, too. He also gets up with Isis if she wakes up at night and he brings Lux to me to nurse in the middle of the night. (Have I told you recently how much I adore & appreciate my husband? He's pretty fabulous.) But that basically means that I'm not really left to do a lot of this alone very often.
 
Seeing how it was the first time I've ever done bedtime alone with 2, I feel a little like Super-Mom. I was able to get them both bathed, Isis in the regular bath & Lux a sponge bath at the sink, I also got Lux's sheets changed & I did a load of laundry. There were no major breakdowns & everything went fairly smoothly! I was really celebrating afterwards! And I think that's okay. I feel like I need to celebrate my firsts with them and my mommy milestones! That is definitely one of them!
 
Only sad thing is that I don't have any pictures of it to share because, hello, look at everything I was doing! I was busy. But I shared a cute Halloween picture from Wednesday night! Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate