Skip to main content

Adjusting

It's so crazy to me how different it has been going from 1 child to 2. The transition from 0 to 1 for us was really rough. If you read back through some of my posts from when Isis was first born, you'll find that it was incredibly emotionally draining. I didn't know how to deal with the emotions, the hormones, the lack of sleep and the fears. It took me at least 2 months to really work through some of that and probably the first 6 months before I felt like I was really back to myself again.

This time, it has been completely different. I think part of it is knowing what to expect. It's also helpful when your labor is a total of 4-6 hours rather than 21. I didn't start Lux's life with a huge sleep deficit just from labor. It's also different because I have lots of tools in my belt to figure out how to adjust to Lux's needs and personality. I know what I tried with Isis and I have been able to try those things with Lux and find what works. It was a little scary at first because I had Isis and I really knew Isis. I didn't know Lux yet. She has her own things that comfort her and her own personality in terms of eating and sleeping. So it was scary knowing that I needed to take the time to learn all of her specifics.

Luckily this time, it's been easier to adjust and to figure out those things for her. For one, she's a lot more cuddly and easily comforted than Isis was. It's easier to find something that makes her feel better and sleep well. She's a little easier to read. It's also interesting how it feels to add a second child rather than a first. With Isis, it was like she became our entire world and if she had a bad day, I had a bad day. If she didn't sleep, I was super worried about it and upset. If she was crying, I had a hard time dealing with it. This time, I don't have the luxury of wrapping my whole world around Lux. She's had to come in to the family we've already established and it's been fun to just see how she is incorporated to what we already had. Isis loves interacting with her and Lewis and I both love getting one-on-one time with her. It's good that I can't just focus on her because if she has a bad day, we have to just keep going because we have Isis and we have a lot more to think about. There are times I have to cater to Isis and times I have to cater to Lux. And honestly, that's a relief rather than a stress. 

As someone who thrives under a routine and who has reaped the benefits of a consistent daily routine with one child, it's also strange to be back into that mindset. Isis' daily schedule is so simple now that I hadn't really even thought about it for about a year. It's been the same. But the first year to 18 months of her life, I was thinking about her routine all the time. I'm back there with Lux. What's neat about that is that because we already function under a routine, Lux has just naturally fallen into that with us. We have a consistent waketime with Isis and a consistent bedtime. Lux already has the same thing. Therefore, at 10 days old, we already have days that look about the same. I'm going to talk more about that in a later post. 

Right now, I just wanted to share how positive it has been to add another member to our family! I am loving it and excited to be off for 12 weeks to really get to know Lux and get her set up in our family!

Comments

Jennifer said…
so glad you are getting to take 12 weeks off too!! i can't imagine already being back to work!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate