Skip to main content

5 Things NOT to Buy for Baby


First of all, pregnancy milestone! Last night, Lewis was able to put his hand on my belly & feel the baby kick! I love it when the baby gets big enough that he can feel the kicks! He was very excited. We tried to show Isis this morning, but she wasn't quite as interested. 

Now, on to other things, I've been thinking about the things I need for this baby and I've also been thinking about things that we don't need for this baby or any baby! Everyone gets so much advice about what to register for and what not to. While someone else may offer different advice than me and I always tell people to take everyone's advice and then piece together what works for you, I've decided to throw in my perspective on this!

1. Changing Table
I got a changing mat and I just moved it wherever I needed to change her. It is really rare that you actually want to, in my case, climb the stairs to go change the baby on the changing table. If your baby room and everything else you do is all on one floor, then maybe it'd be more beneficial, but in my opinion, just get a changing mat and take it wherever you need to go!

2. Cradle or Bassinet
I got a Pack N Play, which has a little bassinet section in it. It was actually very useful and I used it both when she was sleeping or napping as a newborn and when she was older and moving around I needed to contain her for short periods of time while I cooked dinner or something. But a stand-alone cradle or bassinet is just not necessary. You won't use it for very long and I highly recommend a Pack N Play, which you can use for virtually the same purpose.

3. Wipes Warmer
You're just not going to use this. No way. Maybe for a very short period of time right after you buy it, but really your child needs to be used to cooler wipes because that's usually what you're going to have when you're out running errands or at someone else's house. So unless you're ready to cart that thing with you everywhere you go, just don't get it.

4. Baby Bath Tub
Now this is one thing that I did use, but only because I got one for free. It really wasn't necessary. As a newborn, I put a towel on the counter by the sink in the kitchen & that's where we bathed Isis for a long time. We'd just kinda wipe her down and clean her off that way. Then you can put a small amount of water in the regular tub and wash them in there when they get a little bigger. The baby tub just isn't totally necessary. But again, I used it, so if you got it as a gift or just for whatever reason really wanted it, then it's not a total waste.

5. Crib Bedding Set
It's just not necessary to buy the big set. For one thing, it's now recommended that you don't use bumper pads. I did use them, but mine were thin and didn't pose a suffocation or climbing hazard. For another thing, you won't use the bigger blanket that much. I used mine occasionally and Isis likes to play with it now, but it's not a necessity. This time, I plan on buying some cute sheets on Etsy and using the breathable mesh crib liner and that's really all you need! Just the cute sheets & some receiving blankets will work great. While they're in the crib, they're going to kick off the covers so much anyway that any blankets in there are really not needed.

What do you think? Anything you'd add or take away from this list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate