Skip to main content

Looking Back on 2011

2011 has been quite a year for my family. I slacked a little in the blogging, but mainly because there was so much going on! I love the New Year because it always makes me want to take time to look back & reflect on a year passed & then to look forward to possibility for the next year.

January
Isis turned 1 and we celebrated with a birthday party! I reflected on what it meant to me to be a mother and what I was learning from the experience. We also put our townhouse up for sale in January!

 
February
I found out in February that a bunch of my friends were pregnant! Isis took her first steps! I got a little frustrated that things had not yet regulated after having Isis. And I shared 10 of my Favorite Things!

March
Isis dropped to 1 nap a day! I shared some of her favorite books and some of her technology milestones at 14 months. I also shared why I think my choice to be a teacher was great for me as a mom and also great to my future students because I am a mom!

April
Isis was 15 months & it made me stop and think about how important it is to live for today.

May
My blogging really slacked this month, but my main focus was on encouraging those dads who really step up, but still tend to be overlooked in our society. I chose not to overlook them!

June
Isis took her first swim in a pool!! And I discovered Pinterest, which definitely changed my life.

July
We went to the lake!

August
I set up my classroom for my first real teacher job & then right before school started, I had the honor of being there for the birth of my best friend's 3rd baby! Amazing. I also turned 27, but I didn't write about that.

September
I feel like I just got really reflective this month, especially after reading Jen Hatmaker's blog about adoption. Then 9/11 was really meaningful, too.

October
Isis started throwing major tantrums & we started having to also do time-out.

November
We bought our second house, but our first real adult house! The house where we will raise our family! 

December
I didn't post at all in December, but a lot happened. I finished the first half of my first year of teaching. I also finished my first cycle of KTIP, which if you aren't from Kentucky, is the internship program you have to do your first year. It can be pretty intense just with paperwork and observations and portfolios, so having 1 of 3 cycles, also the longest cycle, under my belt felt pretty great! We moved into our new house on December 16. We absolutely love it! I can't wait to take pictures of everything & share it with everyone! Isis has just burst out of her shell in ways we didn't even expect. All of a sudden her interactions with us and her conversation and the amount we could understand of what she was saying just increased rapidly. She also had a growth spurt, leaving her at 33 inches tall, which is great for her! I found out a close friend of mine is pregnant with her 2nd child, so that's always exciting! We also hosted Christmas at our house for the first time with all sides of the family! I am so excited about what 2012 will bring and so happy for everything 2011 brought us!

I hope your New Year is wonderful!!


Comments

The Planet Pink said…
Such a great year of milestones! You are blessed!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate