Skip to main content

Tantrum Time!

(In a non-tantrum moment)
We've reached that stage. Tantrum stage. What a hot mess.

She's wonderful at the babysitter. The babysitter always comments on how laid-back and calm Isis is.
She's wonderful around other people. If she's entertained or playing, she's just a perfect angel.
But get her at home, with mom & dad, when something happens that she doesn't like or doesn't want, this crazy little monster erupts from my child. She'll scream & cry & throw herself back on the floor! She hits things or one of us. She pitches an absolute fit! 

I've been talking to people & reading about ways to handle this. We have chosen the "no" and ignore route. I say "no fussing" really firm and ask her to "use her words." Sometimes she just needs help and she knows how to say "help." Sometimes she wants something, so I tell her the word and try to get her to do the sign language for "please" or try to get her to point. But if she continues the fit, I ignore and walk away. What's really funny is sometimes she follows me around crying and I just go about my business, pretending she's not there. As soon as she stops crying, I turn around, really happy and smiley and go "well there's my sweet girl!" and we figure out what she needs by pointing or with words. 

It seems to be working pretty well so far. Her fits are very short if I do that. I'm trying not to give any attention if she continues a fit. The thing that gets frustrating is when she'll have several short ones in a row, like last night. I ended up walking away or ignoring her half the night. I know we can factor in being tired and keep in mind the fact that Lewis and I don't cater to her every desire when she's home and wants something. We play with her & laugh & play games & all kinds of things, but we also need to clean up the kitchen after dinner and I need to do laundry and she needs to know how to play by herself sometimes.

I guess I just needed to share. As well as ask for tips or advice or just hear any great stories you have of your children throwing tantrums! Last night I texted my friend Diana because I just needed someone to say "oh you're not alone in that." Anybody else have trouble with a tantrum stage right before or around 2 years old? I'm assuming someone has because they don't call it the Terrible Two's for nothing. I just feel like it's hit my house a couple months early. I look forward to when she can articulate more. Right now I feel like her limited vocabulary (which is getting larger every day - we're at about 40 words consistently right now) is making it frustrating for all of us. She has stuff to say but she can't use the words that we understand to say it to us. Fun.


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

justnotTHATmom said…
All I have to say is (and I mean this in a nice way) "Welcome to motherhood!!" :-)

Both of kids (7 and 13) have always been perfect when we left the house. I get comments all the time about how my 13 year old is the nicest, most respectful kid anyone has ever had over. HA! This is the kid who is grounded because he first told me that I "must have lost my mind" and then called me a jerk. WTH?! My kids can both be awful at times, but I keep telling myself "You are doing a good job because they know how to be nice, kind, respectful, and well behaved in front of others. They just feel safe around you to act out." I admit, it's hard, and many days it hurts my feelings, but I think it's just a part of parenting.

At least she is not awful to all of your friends and family. That would be embarrassing. :-)
The Planet Pink said…
Oh yes, we are right there. Of course this is round 4 for me, and you do get a little more relaxed and confident in your methods the more you have to go through it. :-) As I like to say about Princess #4, she just feels very deeply LOL. Just remember it won't last forever. Eventually the tantrums will give way to big girl drama. And that's a whole 'nother bag of chips. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate