Skip to main content

Summer Reading Update

I have been reading a lot this summer! Everything from books for entertainment to books for school! I thought I'd share some of the good (and not so good) so far!

I posted earlier this summer about my summer reading plans. I've only completed one of them. It's Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. After reading that one, I read Linger and Forever, the second and third in the trilogy. I loved these books!! I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would! I was just checking these out, not really looking for something in the werewolf genre. But I loved them! I actually really liked the characters & the fact that they weren't weak or annoying. There were some strong girl characters, which can sometimes be harder to find in young adult books. I definitely recommend them! The second one is my favorite of the bunch, but I liked them all!

I also started reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare from my earlier Summer Reading List. I haven't actually finished it yet. I'm about halfway through it and I haven't connected to it like I have a lot of other books, so I decided to set it aside for a little while & I'm going to pick it up again later.

Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch was just an average read for me. It's about a suburban housewife who wakes up one day and it's years earlier. She's still dating her ex-boyfriend, hasn't met her future husband yet and doesn't have her daughter. It's all about her discovering the "what could have been" kind of thing. I actually didn't really end up relating to the main character a whole lot. It was interesting to see how they come through the journey from "what could have been" to where she is now. I liked the way they ended it. But there were several things about the main character (I can't even remember her name right now) that just kept me from really connecting to her, so I can't say I would totally recommend this one.

Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella was good and really cute! I have actually really started to enjoy the Sophie Kinsella books! It's not much different than any of the other ones, but I liked it!!

I also read The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Another really cute book that I liked!

A friend of mine who works in a bookstore recommended I read My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. Ann wrote The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and has since written two adult novels as well. My Name is Memory is one of these. It's the first of a trilogy, so as soon as I found that out, I was totally okay with the ending & I got really excited about the next two installments! This was one of my favorites that I've read this summer!

Two that I have attempted & not finished were The Truth About Diamonds by Nicole Richie and Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes. I had heard from someone a couple of years ago that they thought The Truth About Diamonds was pretty cute, but before I was even through the first chapter, I was just annoyed by everyone in the book and I wasn't even remotely interested in what happened to them from that point. Sushi for Beginners started out okay, but I think it was hard for me that it followed three different people and I just didn't connect with all of them. I stopped reading it after about 6 chapters.

Now, on my list for the rest of the summer is Matched by Ally Condie, French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano and Juliet by Anne Fortier! I'm hoping I'll be able to finish them before school starts on August 10!!

What have you been reading this summer?



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Jess said…
I found you through Queenie.

I have a love of YA books. I did read Shiver and liked it but for whatever reason I have not picked up Linger or Forever.
I also have read City of Bones and will say that the first time I picked it up several years ago now, I put it down and literally didn't come back to it for 1-2 years.
I'm conflicted with this one, because whereas I am an adult and not super impressionable, there were areas of the book that I wished weren't there. I did read the 2 and 3rd so apparently at that time in my life it wasn't something that put me off, just something I went yeah, yeah, yeah too and moved on. I'm super conflicted because I did enjoy them, but I have not picked up any of her other books.
That being said I am enjoying dystopian novels like The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner.
I also LOVE Jellicoe Road and Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta.
Also, North of Beautiful was an amazing story, Scrambled Eggs at Midnight was awesome.The Golden Spiral Series, Eyes Like Stars trilogy.
For fun I picked up Heist Society and the 2nd.
Books that I'm looking forward to reading are Wither, Across the Universe by Beth Revis (not about the Beatles) and Delerium.
Oh and Blood Red Road was really good too. Oh and there is one called Jane by April Lindler that's a Jane Eyre modernization, that one has some cussing, but I did enjoy it.
Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore, really good.
And I truly will stop there.
Sorry.
I love to read.

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate