Skip to main content

Burnt out

I'm going to be honest. I've been nervous about posting this because I know a lot of times people post something like this & just lose a bunch of followers because people aren't interested. But I'm at a place in my life right now where I'm just burnt out on blogging & I have been for a while. I think it all began when I started my student teaching last fall and basically went back to work. Then this summer I thought I'd get all back into blogging like I did last year when I was staying home with Isis, but the opposite has happened. I'm even less interested. 

I think part of the problem is that I'm hugely intimidated by people like Melissa from Dear Baby, Kelle from Enjoying the Small Things and even Adriel from The Mommyhood Memos (although this will be the first she's heard of it). I just don't have the time to put into my blog to create wonderful posts with great pictures and thoughtful commentary on my life or things I notice in Isis' life like they all do. Every time I read their blogs, I just think "mine completely pales in comparison this, so why do I even bother?" It's not that I'm not on the internet anymore. I'm still keeping up with my Google Reader & the 121 blogs I regularly follow on there. I've also recently gotten into Pinterest, which is just such a fun way for me to organize all these things I'm finding online. But when it comes to sitting down and crafting a post like I used to, the motivation just isn't there.

I'm hoping that one day it comes back, and there are definitely days when I feel like I have something to say - and on those days, I will post. So I guess this is just my way of saying I'm still here, I'm still reading all of your stuff - although not commenting as much as I used to - and I will post when I really have something to say. But in the meantime, I'm hanging out with Isis, Lewis and planning out all my future classroom fabulousness!

That is one thing I have a post planned for in the near future: my classroom. I did get a job in 4th grade at the elementary school where I did my student teaching and long-term sub. I am so excited about it! It's a school I basically spent most of the last year in, so I am comfortable with the building, their procedures and their staff. I made some great friends there and I actually feel really honored to be a part of their team. I have high expectations for myself next year and high hopes for my class! I've posted before about how I feel about teaching and the kind of teacher I want to be, so I'm spending all my time trying to make sure I'm planning a classroom environment where my students are set up for success! So that's taking a lot of my time lately, too.

I really do appreciate all of you who are still reading. I've heard from several of you! Hopefully I'll see you around the blogosphere! :) I'm hoping I'll be motivated enough to post at least once a week if I really have something to say. At least through the summer I'm trying to post about my CSA stuff.

In the meantime, here are a few blogs that are posting regularly & I just can't stop reading!



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

BNM said…
It happens to all of us from time to time. DOnt stress it you are supposed to be blogging for you anyway and if your not happy than whats the point?

Congrats on the teaching job :)
Mama Smors said…
:( I don't like to read this! I love reading your blog and my favorite posts are probably ones that were not planned or thought about too much! I like when you just write about your sweet family. Give yourself some time to relax and enjoy your family. Know that this next year will be SO busy and it is okay that blogging takes a backseat. But we will all be waiting for your little posts here and there!!
Cari said…
Sometimes we all need a hiatus. Take a break and get re-inspired. It's quality, not quantity, and the loyal readers will stick around. We get it:)
Adriel Booker said…
Oh, it makes me sad that you compare and think your writing isn't "good enough". BOO for that Cameron. And not true! I love reading your blog and have read pretty much every post since we first met. Anyway, nothing wrong with only posting when you want to. Especially since this is a hobby - that's the way it SHOULD be!!

And, wow, thank you. Just being mentioned in the same sentence as Kelle's blog makes me blush. I don't try to emulate her (never could if I tried) but I do absolutely love her writing and photos and perspective on life. Find her blog so inspiring. I will have to check out Sometimes Sweet. Have never heard of that one... thanks. :)

And MOST importantly... CONGRATULATIONS on your job!! That is such wonderful news and I'm just thrilled for you. All of your hard work is paying off. I'm so, so happy for you. WOW. Sounds just perfect. God is good!! x
Angel said…
I can totally relate to this! I read Kelle's and Adriel's blogs and find myself intimidated and losing what I wanted to say because I am sure I could never be as good. I am still trying to find who I am as a writer and a blogger, and I post when I have something to post about. Sometimes 3 times a week, sometimes none. It's your blog, I love your blog by the way, it should work for you. I have been reading your blog since I started blogging, I am sorry I am not good about commenting, but I will continue to look for new posts.

Congrats on your new job, that is great!!

Angel
Chasing Serenity
angelisse80@yahoo.com
The Planet Pink said…
I feel your pain Cameron. It's so hard to not compare. It's VERY easy to feel inadequate in blogland. I battle it all the time and it often keeps me from opening the computer. But please, don't stop writing. Just release yourself from being anyone but yourself. If you don't feel like writing, don't. I've cut way back and I know because of that I've lost readers and accolades, but that's ok. If I'm not blogging for me then why am I doing it? I'm still here and I'll still read when you write. :-)
Amy said…
OMG! THANK YOU for writing this! I TOTALLY feel the same way. Imagine this...I know Melissa from Dear Baby and Blair from Heir To Blair personally!!!! Pressure!!!! It's so hard not to compare yourself. This has totally put things into perspective. This is a HOBBY! When I treat it like a job, that's when I get burnt out. I may link this up later today on my blog. Hope that's okay. Thanks for writing this. OH...and I think your blog totally rocks BTW!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate