Skip to main content

Innocence

Oh, so many thoughts, and I already know I'm going to fall short of articulating them the way I wish I could. I read blogs like Melissa's, Adriel's, Queeny's & Kelle's and I am blown away by the way they use words. It's like painting a picture. I don't have that, but I pretend sometimes that I do.

I've been teaching about the American Revolution in the 5th grade class where I'm doing my long term sub. This is my first time teaching 5th grade content & it's been interesting to see where their foundations are & how they view some of the concepts we are covering. Before discussing the American Revolution, you have to cover slavery because the colonists and other explorers brought slaves from Africa before the Revolution. When we finally reached the discussion of the Declaration of Independence, it was such a beautiful, but bittersweet moment when several of the students kept asking questions about why the founding fathers would put in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal" but then still have slaves. It wasn't just a they ask a question & I gave an answer kind of thing. They genuinely couldn't fathom that those two things could exist at the same time - no matter which way I explained it, it didn't make sense.

What a beautiful innocence. It got me thinking about Isis. Right now - and for many years to come - she won't know of cruelty like slavery. She won't know of genocide, hate crimes, murder, famine, the need for clean water, murder or rape or even natural disasters like the earthquake and tsunami that have currently devastated parts of our world. Devastation created by man and nature are all things that are difficult even for me to understand. For right now, I can hold her in my arms & protect her from every bit of that, all the while knowing that one day these things will have to be explained.

I hope that one day I can approach those conversations and explanations with grace and hope. By teaching my children about devastation like AIDS, genocide, natural disasters or famine, I can also give them a voice to share those frustrations when they identify immediately the injustice of it. I can teach them about these things with the understanding that they have specific strengths, intelligence & compassion that could help work against the cruelty & destruction they find in the world. At the same time that I teach them about the bad, I can teach them how to be a part of bringing good - one step, one person, one act of kindness at a time. 

I love that students wouldn't understand how slavery could exist in our society because they have known their whole lives that it is wrong. It proves that in some ways, we are moving in the right direction. But I know that we have many current issues that will be a reality for these children. I pray that God will give me the wisdom & discernment to know when it is an appropriate time to breach these issues with my own children. Until then, I will continue to hold my beautiful girl in the safety & warmth that I can provide, knowing that one day the devastation in the world will break her heart, but hopefully I can give her the strength she needs to handle that & to also hopefully play her part in doing something about it.




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

The Planet Pink said…
First of all, you are a very eloquent writer, so don't doubt that! Sometimes the things we feel the most deeply about don't easily fit into words. I understand that feeling. Second of all, the loss of innocence is a scary thing when you're a parent. I think about it all the time. Maybe I shelter my girls too much? I don't know. I just pray that when the questions arise that I have just the right words to give them just the right amount of information. And I constantly strive to show them that God is in the midst of it all.
Adriel Booker said…
Such a beautiful post Cameron. I certainly couldn't have said it better (and you are a good writer, young lady!:) I love that your students found this incomprehensible. I hope that our grandchildren will feel the same way when they learn about the sex-trafficking that is going on under our noses today.

But yes, I think about this in regards to my own kids too. Wouldn't it be easy to want to shelter our kids from any of these sad realities? And yet it would be even more sad to see that they could make a difference in the world and yet because of ignorance or unbelief or pride wouldn't even try. Like you I'd much rather help to educate my kids than have them "learning" about these things from other sources. I guess my prayer in all of it is that the wisdom and discernment and words will come when they're needed. I can only trust God for that, and the help of my husband. Until then, I too will be cradling my babies and drinking in their wonderful innocence! It really is beautiful, isn't it?
Liz said…
Loved this post! I am always amazed by the way children process life - we adults would do well to learn from them. And I've been thinking much of the same way in regards to my own children, sheltering, protecting, and yet empowering as they grow, so that they can make a difference in their world one day. We have a tremendous responsibility as mothers!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate