Skip to main content

Soaring

I think it's strange how certain songs can really affect your mood. Music has always been really important to me. For as long as I can remember, it has resonated with my life. I've always been able to describe how I'm feeling using a song, a melody or a lyric. I have loved to find that perfect mixture of songs that would speak more clearly than I could about how a certain experience or moment or time period felt to me. It started with mix tapes, then cds, now it's playlists. No matter what the format, music just affects me. Especially now, for some reason.

I think it's because I'm at the precipice of a major turning point in my life. I am 4 weeks away from becoming a certified teacher. Although as a teacher, you sign up to be a lifelong learner, the foundation of my education will be complete. I will be a real grown-up - complete with husband, baby, mortgage & now student loans. I'm not going to apologize again for slowing down my blogging over this time period, but rather just tell you how incredible this semester has been. I've learned so much & I really believe I've grown in so many ways. There is a long-term sub position in the spring at the school where I've been student teaching. I'm being considered for it & would love the opportunity! But either way, I finally feel completely ready to have my own classroom, my own students and my own place in the education world to really accomplish everything I want to accomplish. 

I've been thinking lately about all the experiences that have led to this point in my life. So many successes and failures. Isis is in the midst of learning to stand on her own and maybe someday soon to walk. I feel like she is also at a precipice in her life where she's about to dive headfirst into childhood - no longer a baby. She's had her share of falls during this time and as her mother, I've had to hold back sometimes because you just want to prevent them from falling every time. What I've learned, though, is those moments when she fell & I didn't rush over were the moments she learned how to flip over & jump right back up. I'm amazed at how resilient she is & I hope this is a character trait that she keeps throughout life because I won't be able to prevent her bumps & bruises, whether physical or metaphorical. 

I would love to believe that she won't make my mistakes. I would love to believe that I will be able to prevent a lot of her pain. The truth is that I won't. And sometimes I don't know if I really want to. While I'm sure it's hard to believe (ha), I've made some really poor decisions at different points in my life. There were definitely moments when almost everyone I knew was disappointed in me - which paled in comparison to how disappointed I was in myself. To say that those moments weren't unbelievably painful would be a lie, but I can say that my moments of brokenness instilled in me a desire to recover - a resiliency, if you will. 

I read a quote one time by Ernest Hemingway that said "the world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places." This has been true in my life. My brokenness has made me stronger than I ever thought I would be. There are still many areas of my life that will probably be broken before I'm done here, but I've found God to be faithful in His promise that "even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:30-31 - emphasis mine)

I'd like to believe I'm soaring. Or at least that I'm about to.

And I'd like to believe that when the time comes that Isis will make mistakes or face dark moments or brokenness, that I will be strong enough to love her & encourage her, but allow her to deal with it & heal & one day to soar on her own.




Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Amy said…
Beautiful! This was great Cameron! I've missed you!

Let's see...what have I been doing? Hmmm...Oh yea! Giving birth to my baby! She's here!

Sounds like you're in the home stretch with the student teaching. I'm proud of you for not apologizing for blogging less. I think all of your readers totally understand! Good luck!
Mama Hen said…
Before you know it Cameron you will be certified and teaching in your own classroom. You are a great teacher and your students will be lucky to have you as their teacher! I wish you well my friend! Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen
Heather said…
Congratulations! What a beautiful time in your life. Wishing you all the best.
Unknown said…
What a lovely post! It's amazing how much watching your little one grow in turn makes you grow, right? We learn so much from these babes.

Good luck getting the teaching gig! They'd be lucky to have you.
Lindsey Clair said…
This is so beautiful and profound Cameron! Congratulations on your upcoming journey of being a certified teacher! I believe you will be great and you will impact the students you teach everyday! May God bless you as you continue to raise Isis up in Him. I can relate to wanting to be there to protect them from all the pain out there. Sometimes I just want to keep my girls in a box but I know that I cannot do that! Your attitude is inspiring! God bless you for that!

Blog
http://www.peacefulislandmother.yolasite.com
That was absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on the upcoming turning point in your life, i hope you do soaring.

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate