Skip to main content

Top 5 Breastfeeding Tips

I don't take breastfeeding pictures, so here's a pic of me & Isis!

I'm only 7 1/2 months into breastfeeding my first child, but it's gone pretty well, so I have a few tips to offer. I was going to share 10 tips, but after sorting through my thoughts, I found I only have 5! Also, I am not a doctor & I am not an expert. Definitely talk to your doctor or other experts about breastfeeding. I can just offer what has worked or been true for me.

1. Work for full feedings from the start
I believe there is great benefit to making sure your baby gets a full feeding each time they eat. This helps to make sure they get the nutrient-dense hindmilk that is released at the end of the feeding and it also makes sure that they are emptying your breast, thus promoting more milk production! Also - it can help them be able to go longer between feedings because they were full. Definitely a benefit later when they can go longer. In the beginning, though, you'll be feeding every couple hours around the clock no matter what.

2. Study up!
There are lots of great online resources with info on breastfeeding! Kellymom & La Leche League are probably the best ones! Just make sure that you make some effort to get informed on latching techniques & other info. It's also great to find places you can go when you have questions - which you absolutely will have - when you start!

3. Don't stress if things don't go according to plan
While I definitely recommend learning what you can (see #2), it's also important to remember that things aren't always going to go the way you expect. Sometimes milk doesn't come in. Sometimes the baby has trouble latching on. Sometimes it's more painful than you expected. Be prepared to just do the best you can. Know who you can call - La Leche League, the lactation consultants at your hospital, a friend who had success with breastfeeding, etc. 

4. Don't freak out about green poop
Basically, don't assume that what you are eating is affecting the baby negatively. This is something I had to calm down about from the beginning. I heard stuff from several different people related to what I'm eating & how it could affect Isis - don't eat cheese, don't eat spicy foods, don't eat broccoli, stay away from chocolate! I felt so stressed & worried about what was in everything I was eating in the beginning. When I finally talked to my doctor about it, he said that these are all old-fashioned views that have been disproved for most women in more recent years. Apparently, it's actually rare for the food you eat to affect the baby negatively unless you or your husband have a major food allergy. Be looking for frothy poop & blood in the poop, but as long as it's not frothy, any color of the fall leaves is ok except red.(Again, I am NOT a doctor. If you really think your baby is having an allergic reaction to something you ate, go with your instinct & call your doctor! You won't ever regret finding out for sure.)

5. Be aware of the normal breastfeeding problems
By "normal" problems, I mean cracked nipples, plugged ducts, mastitis, etc. Even a mom who is successfully breastfeeding can have these issues. I didn't study enough about this. Things I learned were that breastmilk is actually a treatment for cracked nipples. Seriously, it's crazy how that works! If you notice that your breast is hurting, it could be a plugged duct, but if your breast is tender & pink or red or purple, GO TO THE DOCTOR. This is just something I didn't really know much about, but I got mastitis when Isis was 4 weeks old. I'm going to write a separate post about this in particular, but basically - pink or red, go to the doctor. Maybe you'll avoid a 101+ degree fever & feeling like you have a really bad flu for 3 days.

What worked for you when breastfeeding?
What tips would you add to this list?



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good tips! My advice would be to get a great pump in the first days, so you can pump away and can take your time getting the hang of nursing, instead of having the pressure of being the only source of food for your child. I rented a strong one from the hospital the first couple of months and it was the best thing! I thought I wouldn't be able to nurse, 'cause it just seemed too hard, but I'd just keep pumping and everyday try nursing a little bit more. It took me a bit (a month!), but eventually I was breastfeeding all the time and just pumping when necessary (like now, that she's 9 months). So my advice would be, be patient with yourself, and pump away! :)
The Planet Pink said…
My tip is to recognize that for the first 4-8ish weeks of your baby's life, nursing is almost like a fulltime job. EXPECT it to feel a little overwhelming at times, especially when the hormones are all over the place postpartum. But STICK WITH IT. Once you get through those first couple of months, breastfeeding is as second nature as breathing. Don't doubt your capability and GET HELP if you sense something isn't working right. Delaying it can mean the difference between a long lasting nursing relationship and the end of one.
mdforkids said…
Great tips Cameron. These will be so helpful to new Moms! :)
Ami Allison said…
Great tips!! Congrats on making it this far. My goal was 6 months. I just JUST weaned my 25 month old daughter. I already wanna start breastfeeding again. There is just something so sweet and special about it, isn't there. I have a tip that was GREAT for me, in case you don't know. Out in public...mall, stores anywhere you can find a "fitting room" ask to use that to breastfeed. It's roomy and discrete and surprisingly they let you use it!! :) Can I tell you too....they (the girls) aren't as "floppy" as I thought they would be but then again I still have milk ( I know I know I need to stop checking)and I freaked out when I saw lil scabs all over but it turns out it's just the tissue healing from not being suckled on anymore.
Unknown said…
Great tips!! I had to go back to work part-time with my 1st and I almost completely lost my supply. We made it to 9 months but it was so difficult. I stay at home with both kids now and my daughter is feasting daily on my milk daily! I nurse her whenever she wants, wherever she wants! I didn't want to be a "pacifier" for her though so as soon as she is done sucking or starting to fall asleep, I unlatch her and pop a pacifier in her mouth. If she still wants to nurse I'll offer her the breast again and we repeat until she's happy with the pacifier (and usually moments away from sleepyland). Nursing my 2nd was SOOO different than my first and WAY easier! It's all about perpective :)
trooppetrie said…
great breastfeeding tips. i am following you back
Rosilind Jukic said…
Great tips!!! (and I'm with you - I don't take breastfeeding pics either...no one needs to see THAT!)

I used nipple guards for a while. I had one inverted nipple and A LOT of pain at first. I would literally cry while I fed Robi. After a couple of months I noticed that they bothered him - and so I'd feed him for a few moments with the guards and then remove them finishing the feed normally. After a week or so I didn't need the guards anymore. Robi is 7 months now and we're still going strong like pros. :) The guards saved me and are one reason I am still nursing after 7 months months.

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate