Skip to main content

Ice cream will fix this...Mommy's Piggy Tales #11

Age 14 or 9th Grade

Ah high school. What a hormone-charged, drama-filled bunch of craziness!!! What do I remember of freshman year? Drama, boys & tears. I heard a quote by George Bernard Shaw one time that says: "Youth is wasted on the young." How true. Young people don't know how to handle youth. It should be such a wonderful time of freedom, to a certain extent & joy & great friendships & no real responsibility in terms of bills & money. But man, we sure can make it a big mess with how much emphasis we place on things that don't matter & how upset we get over little things. I remember so many things feeling like such hard moments & looking back on them, they still felt hard at the time, but now the situations seem so meaningless. I've come so far since then.

I had a major crush on a boy who had a girlfriend this year. He still used to call me all the time & it was so confusing how he could say he liked both of us. (I wonder if he's going to read this. We're still friends on Facebook. LOL) But looking back on it, it was such a ridiculous waste of time because a guy who treats you like that isn't worth it. I didn't know that in 9th grade, though. I remember one night when I was just heartbroken over this situation & my mom heard me crying in my bedroom & she came in & took me to Wal-Mart to get ice cream even though it was about 11:00pm on a school night. Maybe not the greatest parenting example if you're thinking of sweets & bedtimes, but it is one of the fondest memories I have with my mother. She didn't act like I was stupid for crying over something that 10 years later I'd look back on with laughter. She just gave me a hug & said "ice cream will fix this." And it did for a little while.






Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Unknown said…
glad to see you back.. missed ya.. I love the picture and the post.
Anonymous said…
Ah! Cutest story and cutest picture! Is that your mom?? If so, looks like your sister! :) And she had the perfect reaction - the one that I hope to have with my daughter one day!
Crystal said…
I agree, I totally wish I had lightened up on the drama as a kid and enjoyed it more! Of course for me the stress of money & bills actually happened earlier then I would've liked- I used to stress more then even then I do now!
What a good memory to have to share with your mom, I don't have any of someone 'picking me up' when I was down about boys or other drama, but I have plenty of me picking up my little sister and a friend or 2 in their own moments of tears and broken hearts. Ice cream definitely helps, and I used to take my sister to the movies or rent one and just veg out for a while with her. Good memories!
Casie said…
Your mom is a smart lady! I'm glad she knew what would make it all better.
Unknown said…
I just wish I had gone to my mom with all of my boy drama. I didn't think she would understand, so I never talked about it. What a waste. If only I had known how smart she is... for some reason she had gotten a lot smarter as I've aged. :)
Booyah's Momma said…
I wouldn't go back and redo my freshman year for anything. Drama o plenty. And your mom... sounds like a wise woman indeed.
Adriel Booker said…
one question: how did you NOT look awkward at 14?! {i'm impressed!}
Lindsey said…
I left you an award at my blog. http://dishwaterdreams.com/2010/08/but-i-dont-hav…peech-prepared/
Amanda said…
hey thanks for visiting my blog! stopping to say hi and be your new follower! have a great weekend!
Laura said…
Ice cream does fix a lot. My 11 year old son started off with a tough 6th grade year, and he said to me, "Mom, I think I'll need ice cream after school". I blogged about it and couldn't stop crying!!!

And now I want a big bowl of ice cream. ;o)
Janna said…
See, this is why we blog about life because it precious moments like this that we wouldn't want to be lost or forgotten.

So glad that although the boy relat. was better put aside it allowed you and your mom to draw closer.

I'm featuring your post this week.
MommaHarms said…
What a smart mom. Ice cream does fix everything!
Just precious...and yes, so many hormones at this time of life and everything is such a big deal!!!
All these post remind me of why I enjoy hearing Taylor Swift...she seems to capture this time in song.
Visiting from Mommy Piggy Tale group 2!!!
Enjoyed..such an encouragement for us moms to remember

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate