Skip to main content

Popeye Got Me In Trouble...Mommy's Piggy Tales #3

Age 6 or First Grade

My first grade teacher was Mrs. Crouch. She was a friend of my mom’s. My mom is also a teacher. She taught for 27 years & just retired a few weeks ago. The majority of that time, she taught Kindergarten. Mrs. Crouch’s daughter, Emily, actually babysat for me later in my life. Now Emily is also a teacher & has a daughter of her own. Mrs. Crouch also has a son named Layne & I remember thinking he was really cute. Too funny.

I remember liking first grade. I made several friends that year that I kept through the rest of elementary school. There were two in particular named Janie & Laura. Janie’s mom was a teacher’s assistant at the school and Laura’s dad was the county judge. I have a really clear memory of Janie & I getting in trouble for singing a Popeye the Sailor Man song. Do you remember this one?

Popeye the Sailor Man
He lived in a garbage can
He turned on the heater
And burned off his wiener
Popeye the Sailor Man

Classy, I know. But we were 6. Come on. Anyway, we got in BIG trouble & had to sit in the hall in time-out. This was unfortunate because both of our mothers worked in classrooms on the same hall. Looking back on it, I think Mrs. Crouch probably did this on purpose, because our mothers walked by several minutes later & we both burst into tears. 20 years later, I still remember that song & the fact that it got me in trouble!!

I started dance lessons this year. I did tap, jazz & ballet. This continued until I was in middle school. I was also in the wedding of a close family friend. This was at the very beginning of first grade, but it was the only wedding where I was the flower girl! My cousin was the ring bearer. Unfortunately my most distinct memory of that wedding is of me throwing up in the hotel the night before after eating cheese cubes at the rehearsal dinner.

I’m starting to see a pattern of me just remembering bad things!! Hopefully this changes as I continue with my Mommy’s Piggy Tales!

Mommy’s Piggy Tales - Week #1
Mommy’s Piggy Tales - Week #2

Comments

Jodie Ansted said…
Awww - you made a cute flower girl! I was a "Junior Bridesmaid" as my cousin called it, when I was 7. Loved every minute. I kept asking for more lipstick.

Love your tale!
I think I remember mostly traumatic or bad things, and they seem more interesting to write about.

I don't think I've ever heard that version of Popeye...
Olivia said…
I don't know--I'm sure that moment of trouble was used for much good in the rest of your life. : )
suchakingdom.blogspot.com
Crystal said…
That was a new version of the song then I remember! I can see why it might've gotten you in some trouble!
I too think I remember more bad things, at least more vividly then the good ones.
Thanks for sharing!
Casie said…
That song is the funniest version ever! I knew the actual cartoon version of the song but had never heard that. Too cute.

And I totally get the "being a teacher's kid" thing. It was rough sometimes!
Robin @ Blommi said…
You were quite the little rebel. The song made me giggle.

Now following you from Friendly Friday Follow.
berrypatch said…
I'd never heard that version either. ;-) Loved all your memories.
Unknown said…
Lovely blog! Cute story!
Would love for you to say hi and follow me back, Happy Friday follow!
Frenchy
Erin Wallace said…
Following from NYC Island Girl's FBF - hope to see you at Dropped Stitches.

xo Erin
Letherton said…
here from fbf Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com
Thanks for my award! Big shout out for ya over at my place today. Swing on by and take a look. Have a great weekend!

http://mawhats4dinner.com/it-must-be-award-season/

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com
Oh...this makes me feel so much better! No I don't remember that song, but I seem to only be remembering when I did something bad...I keep asking my mother for stories...give me break, I am 49!
I then think about my kids and wonder if we are only retelling stories of them getting in trouble and not their successes...but that is what brings the laughs when they gather around the table. They are usually telling them on themselves.
Enjoyed...stopped by from group 2 of Mommy Piggy Tales,
Janette
Unknown said…
i dont' remember that version LOL

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate