Skip to main content

Girls Night & A New Book!

Last night I got to go out with some of the girls from my Bible Study in high school. We get together a couple of times a year now that we've all moved various places & have gotten busy with families & jobs, etc. It's a wonderful group of women who I feel blessed to call my friends. We started the group when I was a sophomore in high school. Sara, our leader, is the woman in the picture above with the purple scarf. That's just a few of us at my baby shower last year. There were a lot more of us through the years. It's now been more than a decade since we started. These girls saw me through some of the hardest experiences of my life, but have also been there through the best ones. We've now had several marriages, a birth (yay Isis!), a current engagement (congrats to Angie above in the white shirt & scarf), a current pregnancy (congrats to Emily in the black dress) & we have even had to struggle through the death of one of our members a couple of years ago (we still miss Lesley). This group of girls-turned-women has defined a lot of my adolescence & have been such great confidants & encouraging friends. We have also had the courage to challenge each other to be better & to push forward when life gets tough. I hope & pray that one day Isis will have a similar group of friends & I was so happy yesterday when all my Bible Study friends got to meet her!


Sara brought me a book yesterday, too! She is the mother of 3 beautiful children & I have gone to her several times in the last few months for advice as a mom. She is such a source of encouragement & godly counsel. She is also an example to me of how to really pray for your children & to teach them how to be true & genuine in this life. So when she brought me the book How to Have Your Second Child First, I knew it was something I had to read! I've just started it, but already I think it's really interesting! It has 100 things that a second parent knows, but that the first-time parent would benefit from. So far, I recommend it, but I'll let you know my final verdict when I'm finished!!


Did you have a group of friends who made the difference for you in life?
Have you read How to Have Your Second Child First?
What other books have you read that you would recommend to a first-time (or second or third-time) parent?

Comments

Kitty Deschanel said…
As for friends, I do have 2 WONDERFUL friends, but they live hundreds of miles away. I just wanted to say how lucky I think you are to have a close group of friends like that :)

My post for Mom Sexy Prom 2010 is up! Come to the prom with me: http://lambaround.blogspot.com
Jodie Ansted said…
Hi Cameron

I have a couple of particularly close friends here in Sydney that I love to spend time with, can trust and count on. I have a couple close friends back in Perth, where I grew up.

It's great spending time with lots of friends, but having those close friends is special, and I feel lucky to have them!

You're so lucky to have a group like that. Great pic!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate