Skip to main content

A Blog With Substance

I received another award!! I really can’t believe it!! This one is really cool, in my opinion, and it’s called A Blog With Substance. This one was given to me by NYC Island Gal. Make sure to go check out her blog! She just started a new Blog Hop on Fridays that you can link up to & find some new blogging friends!!

For this award, you are supposed to write your blog philosophy. This is the first award I’ve gotten that I’ve really taken some serious time to sit down & think about how to accept it - how to write my blog philosophy & what bloggers to pass it to!

The simplest way to explain my blog philosophy is to say that I really have a desire for community. As soon as I became a mom, I found that I was surrounded by moms who had been right where I was & were willing to help when I had questions. Through blogging, I’ve even expanded this group of moms who are such a valuable source of conversation, advice & connection. There are several ways I plan on building this community through my blog, but I’m taking things one step at a time. Right now, I’m focusing on reading & commenting on the blogs I care about. I even exchange emails with several fellow bloggers! For me, I’d rather have a bunch of sincere, loyal followers - who I also follow (see, community) - who are interested in conversation than a ton of people who just stop by & read every once in a while, but don’t really care about engaging in community. I sincerely try to post things that I believe will be beneficial to others. Even if I’m posting a random story about my day or my daughter, before I post it I always ask myself 2 things: “Would I be interested in reading this if I was a stranger stumbling upon this blog?” and “Is this useful to the people reading my blog?” So my basic philosophy is to try to present interesting & engaging content that makes blog readers want to come back & engage in community with me! If you’re interested in the same thing, check out some of my best posts & subscribe!!

Now, I am passing this along to 8 blogs that I feel have real substance. (I don’t know how many I’m supposed to pass it to, so I chose 8.) This was something I really took some time to think about, so I gave a short description of why I think it would be worth your time to check out these blogs!

1. Greg, Sarah & Ivy
Sarah is an elementary school teacher, just like me! And you will absolutely love her daughter Ivy & her husband Greg! They’re just the sweetest family & every time I read her blog it makes me smile!

2. Dr. Mommy at Home
I love this blog because all her posts have had information that I really wanted to know about & that I can use!! She’s a part-time pediatrician, so her advice will be useful to all moms!!

3. Generation X Mom
My favorite thing about this blog is that her topics are such conversation-starters! I love that she’s raising questions that are important to the new generation of moms. I was reading on her blog & then bringing up these conversations with my husband because I think they’re great things to discuss!!

4. Happy, Healthy & Loved
I just really love keeping up with this blog. Her daughter is 8 months old & I just love seeing which milestones she has reached & then thinking ahead to Isis in a few months! The title just says it all, it just seems like a great, happy family!

5. Of Such Is the Kingdom
I found this blog through Mommy’s Piggy Tales & I’ve just kept reading all her posts! She’s really encouraging & posts on a variety of topics that I find interesting.

6. I’m Still Standing
This blog is written by Shelley who is the mother of 2 girls - one who has special needs. I have been so inspired reading her blog & seeing her dedication to creating the best possible environment for her daughters! I think all moms will be inspired by this blog!

7. Sellabit Mum
This blog by Tracy is just full of wonderful pictures!! I love looking at all her posts! Her girls are absolutely adorable!!

8. The Blogger’s Concierge
I have really enjoyed reading this blog so far! I love that they give great tips for bloggers & that they are working on creating a community of bloggers - including a star search for A list bloggers!!

Comments

Alexandra said…
Hi, Cameron.

SO nice to meet you.

I love how you are NOT categorizing yourself, you see so many sides to yourself, and you accept them all.

That is a good way to go through life, to realize all that is inside you, and to be who you are, not what other people tell you you need to be.

Nice to meet you!
JoJo said…
I like your philosophy. Congrats on your award!
mdforkids said…
Congratulations, I really like your blog philosophy :) I'm so glad you chose Generation X Mom's Blog...hers is also one of my favorite blogs out there!
Congratulations on the award!! I love your philosophy and I know when I take that step and become a mother that I will have the support of the blogging community to help me get through the 'isolation'!!

Love your blog it is absolutely adorable!!

:) Hazel

PS Isn't NYC Island Girl a gem!!!
Unknown said…
Congrats on your cool award! I also love that you summarized the blogs of the 8 recipients. Very thoughtful and I look forward to checking them out.
Thank you Cameron! And, thank you Melissa too :). I really appreciate the kind words. I agree, it is about community and true authentic people. We can all read and comment, read and comment, over and over again, but when you truly find a blog that you can connect with, there is nothing better.
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for my award! I am honored to have a blog of substance. That has been my goal from the get-go--I wanted to say something significant that others moms would relate to. I can't wait to check out the others in my group!
Laura said…
I sent you an e-mail about this post, which I really enjoyed. Just wanted to let you know I can comment now! :o) Hooray!
Olivia said…
Congratulations on the award and thanks for passing it on!!
suchakingdom.blogspot.com
Tracy said…
OMG Thank you and congrats to you! I will do a post later this week. SO glad to hook up with you.
xo,t
Mama Smors said…
Thanks Cameron!! I have to think about my blog philosophy, that might take me a bit! Appreciate you thinking of my blog :)
C said…
Thank you so much for the blog award!!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Isis is just beautiful. You have yourself a new follower. :)

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate