Skip to main content

Nap Training Day 1

Nap training was not so awesome today. She does great going down for the nap. For her first nap, I did a shortened version of her bedtime routine and then put her down for her nap. She cried for 20 minutes and then fell asleep for about 20 minutes and woke up crying. We let her cry a little and went in to calm her and kiss her and everything, but we couldn't get her calmed down. So I picked her up and held her for a while and let her sleep on me for a minute. I ended up putting her back in the crib asleep and she slept for another 40 minutes total - including the time I held her. Normally this nap lasts 2 - 2.5 hours, so it only being 1 hour worried me.

With the second nap, she went down & cried only 10 minutes before falling asleep - I think that was thanks to the fact that the last nap was short. But after 40 minutes - one sleep cycle - she woke up crying again. This time I let her cry for about 5 minutes and then Lewis went in to calm her. She wasn't crying very hard before he went in, just kinda whimpering and crying a little. After he went in there, she started screaming! So I went in and picked her up and brought her downstairs.

For the last nap of the day, I just held her and let her sleep because Lewis' parents were coming over and I knew she needed to sleep. I figured I would just start again tomorrow. The nap training is definitely harder than the sleep training and it may seem too soon to do it, but she just won't sleep anywhere unless I'm holding her right now. So I really needed to get her sleeping in her crib for naps so that I don't have to hold her. She will nap from 5 1/2 to 6 hours during the day right now and she sleeps between 9 and 9 1/2 hours at night (waking for feedings). So if I was holding her for all her naps - which I was last week - I was literally just sitting on the couch for 6 hours total during the day! That is NOT fun. I love cuddling, but 6 hours sitting on the couch not being able to really move a lot is just not good for anybody.

Any suggestions for the nap stuff? Tomorrow my plan is to keep putting her down for her naps in her crib every time like I tried to do today. She doesn't seem to have trouble falling asleep in there. The problem is when she wakes early from her naps. I saw stuff about this in several of my books that I posted about before, but what if I can't calm her down? And what if she won't go back to sleep unless I hold her but I know for a fact that she's still tired because she's fussy and yawning? Help, please!

The only good news is that nothing from today seemed to affect her nighttime stuff. She did cry just a few minutes more today (10 minutes) before going to sleep, but that's it. She is still doing great at soothing herself to sleep at her 8:00pm bedtime!

Comments

Kristin Tatem said…
Me again!
Start writting down what time she gets up and then what time you put her down for a nap. Then the amount of time from one nap to another. you will start to notice a pattern of how long after waking she needs to go back down. I remember for a while for Breck, it was 2.5 each. That was the magic "window" for putting him down for a good nap.

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate