Skip to main content

Cam & Lew - we're weird...

We were just talking about this and I thought I'd post because I think it's interesting. It's so funny how every couple tends to just mesh in different ways. I think it's neat to see how different couples have their different style. Lewis and I apparently have a weird style. People always comment on how we deal with holidays with each other. Let me explain...

We were just talking about Valentine's Day. I said something off-hand about how I would think it was really weird if Lewis bought me a Valentine's Day card or gift. It's just not necessary. I've always thought that. We usually tend to stay in on Valentine's Day and just make dinner or something because we don't want to deal with the restaurants where everyone is going out. Actually, I think there have been several years that we have forgotten that it even was Valentine' Day.

Then the weirdest thing that people always comment on is the fact that we don't buy each other birthday or Christmas gifts. Why would we? We share a bank account and if there is something we really want, we talk to each other and buy it - birthday, holiday or not. So it just seems weird to buy each other gifts for those reasons. For Christmas each year, we usually buy something big for the house. Like one year we bought a new tv because we needed it. Stuff like that. But we don't get each other specific gifts. We do tend to buy little things for each other to be sweet like randomly at different times. For example, Lewis will go to Wal-Mart to pick up milk or something and he'll come back with some Sour Patch Kids because he knows I love them. Honestly that means a lot more to me than a birthday or Christmas gift because it means he was thinking about me and thought of something I'd like while he was out.

I dunno...this post isn't really related to parenting. We were just talking about it and Lewis was like, "I guess we're weird..." I tend to think we're weird for way more reasons than that. haha I'm sure this will come into play in our parenting at some point.

Comments

Jennifer said…
we are the same exact way.... I think the first year we dated we bought each other something for Christmas and V- day but after that we just decided not to do it. And now that we are married we definitely don't do it. We usually will save up to get something that we both really want and say that that is our present. For his birthday one year we got a dog and then for Christmas we saved up money and I went outlet shopping with my mom and i just bought us both clothes because we really needed new clothes. I'm so glad to hear someone else does this because we definitely thought we were weird!!!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate