Skip to main content

Let's Read Together: Ragamuffin Gospel Chapter 2

(Need to catch up? I wrote about Chapter 1 here.)

Chapter 2: Magnificent Monotony
Quotes in italics are Brennan Manning's words from the book

This chapter is all about how big God's love is. It begins with a discussion of the perfection and majesty required to create a universe like ours. Looking at the world around us, it is easy to acknowledge that majesty, but Brennan Manning argues that we have a difficulty attributing that same majestic quality to the depth of God's love. We find all sorts of ways and reasons to make His love smaller. This is another thing Brennan (I refer to him by his first name now because I feel like we're friends) talked about in the video I posted with Chapter 1 - the way we allow God's love to become as small and judgmental as we can be.

The God of the legalistic Christian...is often unpredictable, erratic, and capable of all manner of prejudices. When we view God this way, we feel compelled to engage in some sort of magic to appease Him....The struggle itself is exhausting.

I feel like what happened to me when I first really came to know Jesus, and maybe this is familiar to a lot of people, is that I became so caught up on what I should or shouldn't be doing. It was definitely very legalistic. It was exhausting for me and led into my own judgment of others and myself. I remember feeling so happy with the relationship, but at the same time so full of guilt and shame because I couldn't "live up to" this image I had in my head of what a Christian should be. That time in my life led to a time where I was really broken by my own decisions and my own failures and only then did I truly come to know Jesus as He is - so full of grace and love - that I was amazed by it. And not only that, but the people in my life who really knew Him as well, also showed themselves to be so full of that grace and love as well. 

But trust in the God who loves consistently and faithfully nurtures confident, free disciples. A loving God fosters a loving people. The fact that our view of God shapes our lives to a great extent may be one of the reasons Scripture ascribes such importance to seeking to know him.

Seeking to know Him. Really know him. That is something I don't think I've spent enough time really trying to do. This chapter motivated me to learn more about the character of God and the promises He has made about Himself in His word. I recently picked up the book Praying God's Word by Beth Moore. I feel like sometimes I can't find any better words than to just repeat the ones in the Bible when speaking to God. So I'm loving going through the book and finding scripture that speaks directly to what I'm going through. I loved how Brennan also said "The Word we study has to be the Word we pray." And in all of that I need to remember Who it is I'm praying to and what that means for me. There is a section on page 46 of my book that talks about the fact that we can truly know and feel God, that He makes His presence felt. I loved that. I love that truth and that promise.

In essence, there is only one thing God asks of us - that we be men and women of prayer, people who live close to God, people for whom God is everything and for whom God is enough. That is the root of peace. We have that peace when the gracious God is all we seek.

Wow. People for whom God is enough. I wonder if someone would describe me in that way right now. I actually doubt it and that only makes me want to grow closer to Him. To recognize and accept the grace He gives so completely and freely would be truly life-changing for anyone. To truly understand and accept that He accepts us exactly as we are. If we truly understood who He is, His character, His majesty, His grace, His love, then it truly would be enough.

One of my favorite things Brennan says at the end of the chapter is that "love is a far better stimulus than threat or pressure." He says that just because we come to accept the grace of God and understand that we are accepted as we are and can therefore accept ourselves as we are, it doesn't mean we will just become apathetic and lazy about becoming more like Christ. Actually, understanding that love only stimulates us more to want to be more like Him. To be closer to that kind of love and grace is much more motivation to me than fear of being apart from it.


Those are just my thoughts. Is anyone reading this or has read it before? What stuck out to you?


Again, I want to memorize a verse from this chapter. This time I'm going to do...
Galatians 2:21
I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate