Skip to main content

Teacher Mom

I don't post about my specific teaching experiences on my blog. I don't believe in doing that. I'm very aware that my blogging is public - any parent, teacher, principal in my life could easily find my blog - and I'm not ashamed of that. They could also look at my Facebook if they wanted to, although some would have a hard time finding it. I live my life out loud. If there's something I'd need to hide, I just don't do it -  not because of my job as much as just because that's who I am. This is why I'm okay with writing this post, knowing full well that it could be read by parents, teachers or principals in my life.

I believe I will make a great teacher.

One of the reasons I believe this is because I'm a mom. Obviously I don't believe that teachers who aren't moms aren't great teachers, but for me personally, becoming a mom has had a profound impact on what kind of teacher I will be. For one, after reading Kelle's post today about down syndrome, it said something that stuck out to me. As a mom, like Kelle, one of the things parents care about most is that the world will accept their child. "To love them, praise them, high five them on the soccer field, compliment their awesome sneakers, invite them to birthday parties, ask them questions and really listen when they reply, pick them for playdates, help them when they’re struggling, teach them when they need it and recognize all the good they have to give the world." (Kelle's words)  

After having a child of my own, I understand that desire more than I ever did before. And as a teacher, I totally get that. Every year I'm teaching, every class and every student is different. Finding the rhythm that works with each unique class will be something I work out each year. One thing that it hasn't ever been difficult for me to do, though, is to find those things I love about people - my students included. Sure, we will have behavior management discussions, I'll have to redirect, discipline and deal with difficulty in my classroom.

What I can guarantee though, as a teacher and as a mom, is that I will be on the student's team. I will be the Captain of the team, but I will be on their team. I will root for them. I will encourage them. I will see the potential in them. I will do everything in my power to make school a positive experience for them. I will make every effort to ensure that students leave my classroom better than they were when they entered it - not only academically, but as a whole person because I believe education is so much more than teaching facts and figures. I will do that by partnering with parents, school personnel and the students themselves. I believe in children. I believe in their potential. I believe in their differences. I believe that every student, no matter their cultural, socio-economic, racial, emotional, mental, or even chromosomal background has beautiful and unique qualities that make them important, relevant and irreplaceable in the world.

I may not understand the specifics of where students are coming from. I may not have walked where they've walked. I may not have seen what they've seen. I may not look at the world the way they look at it. Again, I will do everything in my power to find what shade they view the world in and for as many moments as I can to take a walk in their shoes. I will recognize differences, embrace differences, encourage differences because I believe one of the most important things you can give a child is confidence and an understanding that they have something significant to contribute to their world.

I will make a great teacher. Because I care. Because I see potential. Because I accept students. Because I praise them, encourage them, compliment them.

Because I am a mom.

And when it comes down to it, because I will expect nothing less from my own child's teachers. If my children deserve great teachers, then so do the children who will be in my class.

Teaching is a huge responsibility, but so is motherhood.

I chose both.

I am so proud of both.



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Adriel Booker said…
I'm glad you decided to post this Cameron. :) Well said.

You are a great mom for the same reasons that you are a great teacher. You are also a great friend for the same reasons too.

I just hope that my kids will have teachers like you one day - teachers that choose teaching because they love children and want to see them succeed in life. I'm much more interested in that than just a person who has lots of skill/knowledge to pass on in a particular area or subject.
Great post! I agree that being a mom makes me a better teacher. I think people CAN and ARE fabulous teachers without being parents, but for me, it adds another layer in how I communicate, because now I consider how I'd want to be dealt with if it was my child's teacher telling me about them!

Hope it's going well!
Amy said…
Beautiful Cameron! This is lovely! My mom is a teacher too and I know she would agree. (I'll have her read this later.) I LOVE that pic of you and Isis! So sweet!
Cari said…
Great post. Being a teacher (and a Mom) has got to be one of the hardest jobs, because you do care so much. Glad to know you're out there, and that you care, when so many others don't. Teacher's mold, guide and nurture our children. I hope you get the appreciation you deserve.
Mama Smors said…
love. this. post... you will make a fab teacher :) can't wait for that journey to begin! you have the perfect attitude and your first year will hold so many ups and downs. you have had great practice of finding balance this year and above all you are proud to be both mom and teacher (as you should be)!! i feel the same way you do... being a mom has without a doubt deepened the way i am able to love my students.
Mom's make the best teachers! :) I just found your blog and became a follower! :) Love your blog! Erin

www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com
gabris06 said…
You made me get teary-eyed. I hope that my own children's teachers feel this way. You have a wonderful heart. I can tell that you are a great mom AND that you are right, you WILL make a great teacher! :-)
gabris06 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate