Skip to main content

10 Favorite Things

I wrote this really fabulous post yesterday with all my favorite baby names right now, but then my friend Diana reminded me that I have lots of pregnant friends & I don't need to share my names so that no one will steal them!! So I moved on to the next topic on my brain...

I was thinking the other day about how I tend to be really loyal to certain things when I find something fabulous that I like! Just for fun, I started trying to think of my 10 favorite things that I use or do or read or watch regularly. The list obviously doesn't include my family or friends because they would top any list of favorites. So using only things, this is the best I could do...

1.Young Adult Vampire Stuff
Twilight, Buffy, Vampire Diaries - I love all those! True Blood, I just can't do. So I finally realized I am a young adult vampire fan. I always said I didn't like Buffy for the vampires - it was the satirical & sarcastic humor. I didn't like Twilight for the vampires - it just sucked me in somehow - I think it was more the secret love & how awkward she was because although I hated her, I also somehow related. I didn't like Vampire Diaries for the Vampires - okay, wait - 3 young adult vampire things? I decided to just admit to myself that they all had to have something to do with the vampires! Don't know what it is, but I love it!

2. Dark Chocolate M&M's
Lewis and I always have a bag of dark chocolate M&M's somewhere in our house. If we run out, it's a big deal - someone is making a late night run to Walmart.

3. TV Shows
I love watching TV. It's something that has definitely changed for me since becoming a mom - I do the vast majority of my tv-watching once Isis is in bed. Therefore, I've had to cut out all the shows I can stand to not watch anymore, but that still leaves a lot. Here's my current list: House, How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girl, Glee, Parenthood, American Idol, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Off the Map, Bones, Vampire Diaries, Grey's Anatomy, 90210, One Tree Hill, Hellcats, Big Bang Theory, The Office, Saturday Night Live, Castle, United States of Tara, Big Love. Judge me if you must. I'm aware that it's really ridiculous. But I do tend to do other things while I'm watching TV. I'm a major multi-tasker.

4. Donald Miller, Rob Bell
To sum this one up in one sentence, I love reading books by people who challenge me, but who I also feel like I really relate to in an authentic way. If you aren't familiar, Donald Miller is a Christian author who has written some books that have really spoken to me on a level that not many can. He's genuine & authentic & he's not afraid to admit that he has questions. He's not a pastor and he hasn't gone to seminary, so don't expect to find actual Greek meanings of Biblical text or theological investigation into something. The thing I like about him is that he's a Christian author, just on the same journey I am - to learn, investigate and sort through this life with his eyes on Christ. He admits his struggles and his failures, but he also is honest about challenging where you are & giving advice for moving forward from someone who is trying to do the same thing. I like that. (My faves: Blue Like Jazz, Searching for God Knows What - he also has a blog that is fabulous.)
Rob Bell, on the other hand, is a pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is formally educated in Biblical teaching. He has his M. Div and loves to talk about the original Greek and Hebrew meaning of Biblical text. This always opens scripture up a lot for me and really challenges me! (My fave: Velvet Elvis) I also love to listen to his podcasts on iTunes! (Along with the podcasts of Erwin McManus & Francis Chan.)

5. Japanese Food
I love Japanese Food - like a lot. If I could pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be Japanese food. I love going to eat at hibachi grills! I love chicken & shrimp & sushi & the ginger dressing on the salad & all of it! I could literally eat it every single day. But I don't, because it's expensive. I end up eating at the hibachi grill at a Japanese restaurant just a couple of times a year. Although, we will go eat at the sushi bar more often.

6. Forever 21
This is my favorite store. It's cheap, it's got really cute clothes & I love just being in there & trying everything on! I can buy a ton of clothes for not very much & it always  makes me really happy! They also have a kids line & you better believe, when Isis is old enough, she will be rocking some Forever 21 kids clothes! I'm also really pumped about their maternity clothes & I'm gonna get Lewis some of their men's clothes! I even keep a running wish list on their site.

7. 7 for all Mankind jeans
Continuing with the clothes topic, it took me years to find a brand of jeans that fits me really well and that don't fall apart. I literally wear my jeans out! Yes, this brand is expensive, but if you get a Macy's coupon & use birthday or Christmas money, like I do, it works out in the end. I haven't bought any other jeans since I discovered them! I'm a big fan. I have this pair & this pair.


8. Facebook
I know a lot of people hate Facebook & deleted their Facebook or whatever, but I see the pros. For one thing, I have family that live all over. We don't get to visit as often as we'd all like, so Facebook is a great place for me to post pics of Isis so that they can keep updated with her! I also link to my blog posts so that my family or friends who aren't big blog readers can stay updated on what I'm posting here. I also see Facebook as a less socially awkward way to keep in touch with those people who you really do want to stay in touch with, but you aren't quite close enough to call on the phone regularly & you don't want to write huge emails. Maybe you disagree & I do understand the people who aren't interested, but it really works for me.

9. Awards Season
Add this to my love of TV shows & then my love of movies & it should be no surprise that I get giddy about Award Season. I watched the Golden Globes the other night & was just all about every bit of it! I cried & I laughed & I was excited for people & it was just fun. It also tells me what shows or movies I should be checking out! Although I don't always like all of them. For example, I am terrified of seeing Black Swan. Plus I looked it up on the Kids in Mind rating guide & I'm even more confident that I can't watch it. But I do love awards season! The dresses are my favorite!!! Just wait until Oscar Season! I have a party at my house every year!

10.Music
I believe that music conveys things about life that cannot be expressed any other way. It doesn't even have to have lyrics. Classical music, movie scores, it can all speak to you on an unspoken level. My love of music goes as far back as I can remember because my dad is a big music lover. I was raised on Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Heart, Aerosmith, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, etc. I still love classic rock, but I also love the new stuff. I even believe there is a time and a place for Britney Spears. I just love music. On my iPod, I have about 80 GB of music & 30 playlists all representing a different mood or experience. Tomorrow I'm going to post a playlist for you!


What are your 10 favorite things??


After I posted this, I saw that someone else copied the idea! So check out her link! If anyone else does one, I'll link to you as well, just let me know!

A Little R&R: 10 Things I Love



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Fab said…
I love Forever 21 too! They didn't have maternity clothes yet when I was pregnant but luckily baggy and stretchy shirts were in style so I still managed to get plenty of clothes there while I was pregnant!



http://foodartbaby.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
Apparently we think alike. I would sub in Citizens jeans for 7s because I have a big bootie, but otherwise I'll give you an amen.
Liz said…
Forever 21??? Dare I tease about fashion? :)

TOTALLY kidding!

I love pretzel M&Ms AND Japanese food. We took Kate to Benihana for her 5th birthday.
Gosh, let's see...
1. Bad reality TV
2. Wine
3. Coffee
4. Writing
5. Facebook
6. Twitter
7. YouTube
8. Chocolate
9. Glee
10. John Mayer (I know, I know)

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate