Skip to main content

A Dad's Perspective on Cloth Diapers

This post was written by my husband, Lewis. I wanted to share his view of the cloth diapers as I know many times it's the dads who are thinking, "no way I'm doing that." At first, I was worried that Lewis may not be on board, but the more we talked about it, the more it felt like something that was right for both of us. Here's a little view of cloth diapers through his eyes:

Honestly I didn’t know much about diapers in general when we first began discussing cloth diapers. Just like most people, when I thought about cloth diapers, I saw essentially big white napkins with safety pins. After Cameron showed me a few of our options I realized that we had much more modern tools to work with than I thought. I had never changed any type of diaper before, so to me, I was up for anything. Now after I have changed many months worth, I have to admit that I no longer can see us using anything else other than cloth diapers for our children.

What do I love about them?

They are significantly cheaper than disposable diapers since they are obviously reusable. Who doesn’t want to save money?

We occasionally have to use disposable diapers for various reasons and I actually think cloth diapers are just as easy to use. We use GroBaby diapers with Velcro tabs. It’s just like the adhesive part of a disposable diaper. It takes all of 30 seconds to snap the soaker pad into the shell and then Velcro it around the child.

They look much cooler than a disposable, plus cotton has to feel better on the skin than synthetic drying pads.

Creating less trash in landfills is definitely a good thing.

It is a fantastic conversation topic that allows you to get to know other parents. Since using cloth diapers is a less common choice, others often want to know more.


Here are some of the counterpoints that I can understand.

Although I find cleaning them a breeze, you do in fact have to hold a soaker pad with #1 or #2 on it in order to spray it off with the sprayer connected to the toilet. It is seldom that I actually get anything on my hands but obviously is always a risk. If you can’t see yourself spraying off some poo and putting a wet diaper in a lined trash can, well this isn’t for you.

It creates more laundry. Throwing them in the washer is easy. Then you have to hang the shells to dry and put the soakers in the dryer. It’s simple but definitely harder than throwing a diaper away and grabbing a new one.

Occasionally, they can be hard to situate so that they cinch around the baby’s legs and waist (especially with an extra pad for nighttime).


My viewpoint:

After using cloth diapers for over 6 months now, I am completely satisfied with our choice. I’m not trying to make a statement by using them; I honestly just like them better. Any dad that has reservations should ask themselves if it’s diapers in general they have a problem with or just cloth specifically. If I can use them, without ever changing a diaper before, so can you. On a side note; if you are scared of some poo, I feel sorry for you. Also that wasn’t meant to be a funny rhyme or anything. It’s just that babies are going to put you in some gross situations regardless of which you choose. Just weigh the pros and cons for yourself and see if you feel the way I do.


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Comments

Emily H. said…
Thanks for your viewpoint, Lewis. Like you, it kind of irks me when dads get all butthurt (no pun intended) about baby poop. What did they think they were getting into?
Mama said…
Thanks for posting about this!! It's always great to hear a dad's side of the story! My husband was afraid of changing our kids' dipes for a looong time. It's second-nature to him now, mainly because I make sure to have all the soakers snapped in and pockets stuffed beforehand so all he has to do it put it on! Plus I think it's not as "gross" in his eyes to handle solid poo over bf poo!! :)

~ B.B.
Buzzing the Day Away
Jessica said…
Thanks for posting this! I just used a cloth diaper on my daughter for the first time last night.

Upon putting it on, my husband was skeptical, believing that she would be drenched in either poop or pee within an hour.

An hour, two hours, and three hours went by and nothing of the sort happened.

After such a positive experience, I am now planning on purchasing more cloth diapers. The brands that I have at home are BumGenius and Rumparooz. What are you using?

-Jessica a.k.a Nya's mom
Jami Balmet said…
Thanks for this! I'm totally on board with cloth diapers but Hubby is afraid of them! lol! I will be showing him this post! Thanks :)
Adriel Booker said…
this is great! more from lewis! more from lewis!
love that daddy/daughter photo of you guys too! so sweet.
Tat said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tat said…
I'll have to get my husband to read this. After 8 months he still thinks cloth is too complicated and puts a disposable on every time he is solely in charge of the kids. I love your story so much that I mentioned it in my blog: http://clothnappiesarefun.blogspot.com/2010/07/finds-of-day-giveaway-nappy-spot-and.html

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate