Skip to main content

To Isis on Her First Father's Day

Dear Isis,
Today is your first Father's Day. Technically you were with us last Father's Day, but you were held in my belly, not in my arms. So today I'd like to talk to you about your daddy because I can. The most important thing you need to know is that he loves you so perfectly and so unconditionally. One day you'll get to see the way his eyes light up when he sees you, but watching it these first few months has been an absolute joy. I hope you find joy knowing that you have brought it to him.

Your dad will teach you so many things throughout your life, whether through words or through actions. I could not have picked a more perfect man to introduce you to the world. He will protect you and affirm you and encourage you every step of your journey. I know from him you will learn courage because he is truly courageous. He will help you learn to live with integrity because he has learned to live with this conviction throughout his life. He will teach you to investigate, to think and to discern. His mind is one of the most attractive things about him. I hope you feel the same.

I believe he will challenge you. He will push you to be your best, but he will also hold you when you are not yet who you need to be. Don't be afraid to come to him with pain, loss or failure because he has experienced all of these and has still risen to the place of a leader. He will help you see that you can be strong in your broken places. I know he will love and accept you as you are. I cannot even begin to explain to you how sincerely he takes his responsibility as your father. I know that he will be gracious, kind, funny, unique, interesting & encouraging to you. He will model for you the love and life that God has for you. I know that he will daily be on his knees to lift you as high as he can toward the only One who can really provide for all your needs. 

I hope that one day you know how blessed you are to have him as a dad. Life is going to get rough and messy and there may be days that you don't understand our decisions as your parents, but I can promise you now that your dad is praying and preparing for your life. He has been doing so since before we even knew you were here. One day I hope you know and feel how very much we both love you.

Happy First Father's Day to your daddy!

Love,
Mom


If you wrote a Father's Day post, please link to it in the comments because I'd love to read it!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm following from the Lady Blogger Tea Party. What a great post for Father's Day.
Mama Smors said…
so sweet! lewis sounds a lot like greg as a daddy! here is my daddy's day post http://smorsfamily.blogspot.com/2010/06/to-our-daddy.html
mdforkids said…
What a beautiful letter to your daughter about her Daddy...Happy Father's Day. Beautiful photo of them:) I think you read my post already but here it is http://mommamd4two.blogspot.com/2010/06/sometimes-dad-knows-best.html
Cameron said…
sarah - i have totally thought for a while that greg & lewis would have a lot in common as dads of girls. they seem to be very similar in the way they interact with them! we should get them together!!
Adriel Booker said…
so precious!! thank God for great daddies! xx
MySaggyButt said…
Hi Cameron, I'm following you from 31 DBBB Challenge. Your letter brought tears to my eyes. Every moment is so precious because time passes so quickly. Cherish every one. I've included a link to my Father's Day post. My dad is much older than your husband but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Good luck with the challenge!
Kathryn
http://mysaggybutt.com/2010/06/dad-remember-when/

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate