Skip to main content

Great Day! Horrible Night.

Yesterday was the first day since Isis was born that I didn't cry at all! I was so relieved! Maybe the hormone changes really aren't permanent! haha I feel like nothing will ever be the same again - not with the baby, I mean obviously that changed everything - but with MY emotions. But I went to bed last night so relieved because Isis had eaten really good all day & she had slept well during naps and everything had gone fairly smooth! It was a great day!

Well, then came the night. Our nights have been great the past couple of days - I mean, all things considered. She had gotten up to feed about 3 times in the middle of the night each night, but had done pretty good at going back to sleep. She hadn't cried much if at all, just made her "I'm hungry" noises to let us know she wanted to eat! Well, last night, she ate around 7pm and we ended up waking her up at 10:30pm to eat. We couldn't get her to go to sleep until around midnight. We put her in the cradle, but she just got kinda fussy and wouldn't sleep. She finally fell asleep and woke up at 2am to eat. She ate for 20 minutes - which is really long compared to what she's been eating! She's been eating just maybe 10 minutes total every time she eats. I was worried about it, but she poops and pees all the time and she's already gained back her birth weight! So the lactation consultant at CBH said that she was fine and that some babies just get more in less time or don't need as much.

So after the 2am feeding, we couldn't get her to go back to sleep. She would kinda doze off for about 10 minutes or so and then get really fussy and end up screaming. She did this over & over. We checked her diapers, we tried to feed her again, we tried to let her just cry it out and nothing worked. She ended up eating for 10 minutes at 4:30am and then for 7 minutes at 6am. By 7am, I was a complete wreck. She hadn't really slept at all since 2am. Lewis finally took her downstairs to just let her cry for a little while because we didn't want the neighbors in the townhouse next door to get mad. When Lewis took her downstairs, I just lost it. I started weeping for at least 10 minutes straight. I think she had gas because I had eaten broccoli for dinner and she didn't really poop for the whole time she was awake like that. I felt like it was my fault and that I couldn't give her what she needed. We didn't have any Mylicon and I had tried everything to help her with the gas.

After I gathered myself, I went downstairs and took her from Lewis and just rocked her in my lap until she fell asleep. Then we carefully took her back upstairs and put her in the cradle. She slept until 9am and then ate. She stayed up for a little while after that, but then fell asleep around 10 or 10:15. Lewis and I went back to sleep until noon. It feels different to wake up and deal with things when it's daylight outside. Something about nighttime makes me feel isolated and much more easily upset.

I know this is just a stage and that both us as parents and her as a new baby are learning what she needs and how we need to do everything. But last night was hard. I expect many more hard nights, but does anyone have advice?? I started questioning whether I should have woken her up at 10:30pm to eat or just let her sleep and go to sleep myself until she woke up on her own. Then I obviously feel like I shouldn't have eaten broccoli because I had read that it bothered babies and I just didn't think about it. Someone brought us a wonderful dinner and I ate it without thinking about breastfeeding. I guess I need to be more careful and aware.

On top of that, the snow outside makes me sad and I feel like I'm trapped in my house. I haven't left at all since coming home with her on Monday. I was going to go to Target with Diana today around 11, but obviously I couldn't handle it after the night we had. I'm just still getting used to everything.

I like this blog because I feel like I can have an outlet. I feel better after I get it out. Sorry if my posts are too long.

Comments

Mama Smors said…
Isis will love this blog as she grows up.... she will be able to read back and see how much you love her. I woke Ivy at first but it seemed to throw her off on going back to sleep- my advice, don't wake her :) I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. Sleep is good for the heart!
Megan said…
Oh Cameron! I am so sorry about your night! I'm praying for you guys. I bet Isis is getting so cute. I saw your pictures... she's beautiful. Just know it will get better! I hope to see you soon!
Jennifer said…
Ok, Im obviously not a mom, but I do have a tip :) When my sister first brought Breck home from the hospital she was having the same issue. Someone told her to only let him sleep for 2.5 hours at a time and then wake him up. She did it for a few days and then he was sleeping through the night. Thats the advice she always gives her friends too.
Praying things get better. Baby Isis is adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

10 on Tuesday: 10 Favorite 6 Month Pics

This is completely gratuitous, just me posting pictures of Isis, but my friend Hannah took some pictures of our family yesterday! She is such a great photographer & she is also going to be watching Isis for me in the fall when I start my student teaching. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend on top of the fact that she takes gorgeous pictures of Isis!! I also realized that I didn't put any of the ones where she is smiling in this post. This just means I'll have to post more another time! Get excited! (And this is not a great comment-grabbing post , but who cares? This is for the digital baby book!) Check out the 10 on Tuesday blog Read my other 10 on Tuesday posts

How to Efficiently Read Blogs

Have you ever been just completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blogs out there you can read? I have. Wow. So many fabulous people I'm interested in reading about! I love the stories, the humor, the pictures, the tips, the giveaways, the links, I just love it all! So I've found myself having to streamline my blog reading in order to better manage my time & make sure I hit the "must-reads" for me. Here's how I've done it: First of all, if you leave a comment on my blog or if you follow my blog, I will go to your blog & at the very least I will follow you on Google Friend Connect . This way the blog shows up on my blogger dashboard when I log in. I always look over the new posts that are there when I log in each day, but if you've looked at my Google Friend Connect page lately, you'll see that I follow a lot of people's blogs! So I had to come up with a more specific approach in addition to the blogger dashboard. This is where my Goog

5 Blogging Pet Peeves

Blogging pet peeves are obviously going to be different depending on the blogger or blog reader. I am not an expert, but I have been blogging for more than 3 years between this blog & my other one. So I've seen a lot of blogs & read a lot of tips. Here are 5 things from my perspective that will really help you as a blogger &  me as a reader. 1. Offer a full RSS feed Oh my goodness this gets on my nerves!! I don't know if people think that offering a partial feed will get people to click on their page more or something? But really all it does it gets most people from what I've seen to NOT subscribe or visit your blog at all. There are maybe 2 bloggers that I subscribe to their feed even if they don't offer a full feed & that's only because they email & converse with me regularly & in some way make up for the fact that I can't see their feed in my reader. So just offer a full feed.  There is some debate about the issue, but in every debate